Automation Control for IC40 SWCG and Lighs

crookm11

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2010
Copperas Cove, Texas
Hi everyone,

I'm still in the planning phase of my inground vinyl pool build and have a question about the IC40 SWCG and lights.

Equipment and specs going to be used for the pool:
40' x 23' vinyl with 3.5' to 6' depth
a. 1 x Whispherflow WFDS-6 1.5 HP pump
b. 1 x Triton II TR-100 600 lbs sand filter
c. 1 x Intellichlor IC40 SWCG
d. 2 x colorlogic LED lights
e. suction side pool cleaner
f. 6 x returns
g. 1 x slide
h. 1 x Foxx pools buddy deat
i. 4 x deck jets
j. 1 x Dual MD

The pump will be set to run on low 24/7 and only run on high when the slide, deck jets and or pool cleaner is running. I would like some more control out of the SWCG and lights than what I get with just the equipment. I'm not looking for anything fancy just a system that can control the lights and also have more precise control over the output of the SWCG. If I can add the pump to the system that would be fine to.

Any control system suggestions?
Pros and Cons?
Features I should have?
What would you have done different with your automation system?

Thanks, :cheers:

To have any useful control over an IC40 you need to get a Pentair automation system. The SunTouch is very reasonably priced and can probably do everything you want, though it can only control two circuits other than the pump. To control more things you need to move up to EasyTouch, which is noticeably more expensive.

By the by, why are you getting an WFDS-6? That seems a little to large for this pool.

Thanks for the reply Jason,

I forgot to add I will also have 2 skimmers in the pool.

I know this pump may be slightly to big for the pool. All of the plumbing will be 2" and all suction and return lines will be on there own line with valves to close and open each line. I will also be adding solar panels on the roof later on. I guess, I want to make sure I will be able to run all of the pool features at the same time and not sacrifice performance from the system. I have seen many pools that can't do that. Returns have to be closed to provide enough flow to the slide. I don't want that.

I'm still learning about water flow and head so with my reasoning, is the WFDS-6 still to big?
I just want the pool to be efficient and have as much control over the pool function as possible.

Still so much to learn. Time to wring out the sponge and absorb more knowledge.
:cheers:

It does somewhat depend on which slide you have and which deck jets. Most slides and most deck jets have fairly low flow rate requirements. Do you know the design flow rate for the slide and the deck jets?

I have the easytouch with the IC40 and although it is a good system I've moved some of the automation out of the Easytouch and into my house automation. We don't have much bio load on the pool so I have it set to turn on for 2 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening. When the pool pump is turned on by the easytouch the SWG is on. I also have a large home solar system which heats the house and the pool but there was no way that the Easytouch would integrate with the house solar. Reason is that the easytouch will only recognize heat from solar if the pump is on. I had a hard time believing this but it's true.

So now I've moved a bit away from the Easytouch and have the 2 speed pump being also run by the house automation. I also moved the lights from the Easytouch to the house and now have a house switch which is also part of my automation where all lights go off late at night.

All I've done is run low voltage to the Easytouch and operate the relays. You kind of get the best of both and now my pump turns on low when I have solar but the SWG doesn't turn on except durring scheduled times by the easytouch.

You can also use dry contacts in the easytouch to connect to other automation which although not documented pentair will explain it but then I had the problem with if the easytouch turns on the pump it will by rs485 communication with the SWG turn that on as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.