Near disaster!

Apr 26, 2011
Morgantown, WV
Avoided a near disaster yesterday and thought I would share the story hoping that someone else might not make the same mistake...

Details:
We have a rectangular in-ground with an automatic safety cover that we keep closed all the time unless we're in the pool (we have 3 small kids). We also have a slide into the deep end. We have a cabana with the pump, timer, heater, etc... inside. We keep this locked so the kids (or anyone else) can't get to the key lock to open the cover. I have a timer on the pump and SWG that I had running from 10pm to 8am. So anytime we're in the pool during the day, I turn the timer on manually, so we can pump water down the slide. Of course I have to open the valve next to the pump so the water will go down the slide (you might see where this is going already).

The story:
So, when we finished swimming the other day, my wife shut off the timer so the pump and SWG would turn off. For some crazy reason, I decided to switch the timer settings that evening so it would now run from noon to 8pm (got tired of manually turning it on and thought it made sense to have it run when we are most likely to be in the pool anyway). Fast forward to the next afternoon. I got home from work and noticed quite a bit of water on the pool cover. Not unusual when it rains, but it had been a beautiful day and I knew it didn't rain. I went inside and talked to the babysitter. She proceeded to explain to me that while she was feeding the kids lunch, she heard water running outside. We live in a newer housing development with quite a bit of construction going on and she just thought maybe she was hearing something from that. She kept hearing the water and stepped out on the deck to investigate and saw water pouring off the slide right onto the safety cover. Luckily with quick thinking she ran down to figure something out. Since the cabana is locked and she couldn't get to the pump or valve inside she checked near the slide and turned the valve off underneath the slide to stop the water.

All kinds of things came together that saved us. 1) We had the PB install a valve by the pump and underneath the slide. 2)For some crazy reason, I decided to switch the timer settings that night and the pump kicked on at noon instead of the middle of the night. 3)It was a beautiful day and the babysitter had the back patio door open (we've had AC on for two weeks now). 4)The babysitter just happened to be getting the kids lunch at noon and was close enough to be able to hear the water running.

If anyone one of the those things wouldn't have happened, it could have been a major disaster. Tons (literally) of water could have been pumped out of the pool and onto the cover which would have probably either eventually ripped the cover or ripped out the coping. And as anyone who has one of these automatic covers knows, they are quite expensive.

I "gently" reminded my wife that we need to turn the slide valve off when we shut the pump off so water doesn't come blasting off the slide and onto the cover when the pump turns back on! :whip:

I put the cover pump on to pump the water off and I would guess there was probably 500 gallons of water on the cover. It's a 1800 gph pump and it took about 20 minutes to pump it off.

Moral of the story? If your pump is on a timer, make sure the slide valve is closed when you turn the pump off!

Hind sight is always 20/20 but in light of that and the fact that it could possibly happen again, I'd put a valve actuator interlocked with the cover so it'd be closed whenever the cover was closed. Since your keyswitch is in your equipment room it shouldn't be hard to do. Because you know, over the years someone is going to forget to close that valve again.

Bama Rambler said:
Because you know, over the years someone is going to forget to close that valve again.

That's a good idea. And I love automation, so actually having a legit reason to do some is fantastic. Although, since I changed the timer to run the pump during the day, there's much less chance of it happening now since the water would be coming off the slide when I'm trying to close the cover. There's always the occasional night swim when it could still happen though. Thanks for the idea.

mrshanes said:
Bama Rambler said:
Because you know, over the years someone is going to forget to close that valve again.

That's a good idea. And I love automation, so actually having a legit reason to do some is fantastic. Although, since I changed the timer to run the pump during the day, there's much less chance of it happening now since the water would be coming off the slide when I'm trying to close the cover. There's always the occasional night swim when it could still happen though. Thanks for the idea.

Did you get this done? I am in the process of installing a new pool and my PB said it wasnt possible. I have been searching on Google and haven't figured a way. My equipment is Pentair Easytouch. Can anyone give direction? Thanks!

What you need is a separate valve from your automation system and power supply to power the valve. Let us know what cover you have and how your system is laid out and maybe we can give some sugestions. I'm not all that familiar with the Easytouch but I'm willing to study and see if there's a way to use it to power the valve and accept and input from the cover.

monken said:
Did you get this done? I am in the process of installing a new pool and my PB said it wasnt possible. I have been searching on Google and haven't figured a way. My equipment is Pentair Easytouch. Can anyone give direction? Thanks!

I haven't put much thought into it. I've been working on getting my pool cabana finished before winter. Keep us updated if you have any luck with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
What you need is a separate valve from your automation system and power supply to power the valve. Let us know what cover you have and how your system is laid out and maybe we can give some sugestions. I'm not all that familiar with the Easytouch but I'm willing to study and see if there's a way to use it to power the valve and accept and input from the cover.

Automatic Pool Covers brand under coping http://www.automaticpoolcovers.net, lid to match Travertine Pavers installed on top. We have Pentair Easytouch 8 http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/products/automation-easytouch-control-systems-49.htm currently with two valves. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Thanks for your quick replies especially to a first time poster!

Do you have a wiring diagram for the cover controls?

You could always mount a limit switch to sense that the cover is open and have that actuate the valve. You could get power from the Easytouch transformer to power it.

Bama Rambler said:

You could always mount a limit switch to sense that the cover is open and have that actuate the valve. You could get power from the Easytouch transformer to power it.

I will try to acquire a wiring diagram via the PB. The cover was ordered today so it won't be installed until next week. I will share your idea with the PB. Thanks!

monken said:
Bama Rambler said:

I will try to acquire a wiring diagram via the PB. The cover was ordered today so it won't be installed until next week. I will share your idea with the PB. Thanks!

Mitchell from Automatic Pool Covers sent the following email "The sensor switch that you need is part # EA 0072 and CC 0028. When the cover comes all the way back to the open position and magnet that is installed in front part of the webbing on cover sits on top of the sensor and that is when the water comes on. When you close the cover the magnet releases the connection on the senor and the water then turns off. This is hooked up to a 24 VAC supply."

I have forwarded to my pool builder. Sorry this doesn't mean anything to me but hopefully he will know. What do you think?

Makes perfect sense to me. The fact that they have one means you're not the first one to request it.

If your PB doesn't know what you're talking about ask to talk to the electrician. It's just a simple magnetic limit switch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.