Getting Pool Ready for 4th of July Get Together

Jun 15, 2011
SE Kansas
After a couple of tough weeks trying to figure out the new pool, tonight's 11 o'clock Test Results are:

FC 3.5ppm
CC 0.5ppm
TC 4.0ppm
pH 7.6
CYA 70
TA 160

I have NOT been running my SWG all week but instead have been manually adding 96oz of 6% clorox to my pool every morning
before I go to work. With the posted nighttime numbers and knowing we've had upper 90 degree weather all week, am I on the right track?
Would it be reasonable to assume my daytime FC would be around 6 or so?

I would like to restart my SWG, but am worried it won't generate enough chlorine to keep my numbers up, and with friends coming
over for the 4th, I hesitate to try anything new. Any suggestions as to how I can figure out how long to run the SWG to keep the
chlorine levels safe?

The pool water is clear and sparkly, but I still need to get TA down to 70 and that means adding muriatic acid...Is it possible to get
those numbers down before Sunday? Or do I run the risk of throwing the other numbers off thus making it unsafe to swim?

After reading more tonight, my plan is to add enough muriatic acid to get the ph down to 7.3 (about 26oz) and to add 39oz
of 6% clorox to get the FC to 5. Tomorrow, I'll check chlorine in the morning and start running the SWG then. If I check the
chlorine every hour or two, should it stay close to 5 all day? Is that the idea behind a SWG? Run it during the hottest, sunniest
part of the day so the minimum FC stays close to the target FC?

Thanks for your advice.

I don't have a SWG, so I can't comment on how long to run it for.
The rest of your plan sounds good to lower your TA. :wink:
Stay on top of your chlorine levels when using MA and you should have no problems with hosting a Pool Party! :party:

Chuck

At this stage, simply control the pH by adding muriatic. It will tend to rise when you start up the swg and adding muriatic to keep pH in the mid 7's will bring down TA.

YOu will soon learn if your output on the swg is adequate. Start it up when you can monitor the FC levels 2-3 times daily and you should be able to see FC trending up or down and adjust accordingly. If it drops too low, supplement with some bleach.

I would have my FC around 6-8ppm just prior to your party.

The CYA-Chlorine chart for non-SWG pool tells you that your normal range would be FC 5 to 8, and shock level is 28. So swimming is fine well above 8, but that is probably what you would like to begin the party with. I do not know if you are able to run the filter while the kids are swimming. If so, then you can run the SWG and may keep up with the chlorine used by the guests. I do not know the output on that system but if that data is in the manual it may be that someone here that can handle that math can tell you what FC it ought to add while running for 8 hours or so.

The other important part is the pH, which will tend to rise during the day with all the splashing, especially with the SWG running. It is possible that even if adjusted to the low end of the range which is 7.5 - 7.8, that it will rise to over 7.8 before the day is done. So be sure to test that perhaps hourly as well as FC. You will need to get the kids out of the pool to add acid and then let it circulate, though you could accelerate that circulation by brushing with a Wall Whale brush to mix it well.

It should be easy to test hourly in the morning, then near noon, clear the pool for lunch and a swim break during the sunburn hours to give you time to adjust FC and pH and brush and circulate awhile. More testing will tell you if you need to do the same in the late afternoon and after dark if the kids are still in the pool then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.