Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I use Cal-Hypo only to chlorinate?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I use Cal-Hypo only to chlorinate?

Can I use Cal-hypo and not use tabs? Outdoor pool in VERY sunny Las Vegas. Or do I need to use tabs to raise CYA? If so what do you think would be a good CYA level for a hot sunny climate?
    Inground plaster 20,000 gal
    Whisperflo 2hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I use Cal-Hypo only to chlorinate?

You need some CYA in the water no matter what the source of chlorine. In Vegas, 60 or 70 wouldn't be outrageous.

Cal-hypo, however, is another story. Every time you add it, you add Calcium. The water will evaporate, the chlorine will dissipate, but the Calcium remains forever. You'll be in quadruple-digits in no time, if you aren't already. A huge number of posters from Las Vegas post about scaling. Don't be one of them.

Your two best options are bleach or a saltwater chlorine generator.

I suggest you order up a good test kit ASAP, and immerse yourself in Pool School. Pool School has a good article on what constitutes a good test kit.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

You don't want to, our calcium level is 350 out of the tap and the evaporation is constant. CH is a battle to stay below 1000 in our pool. I only have scale to fight on my spill over from the wind and such but I use a lot of acid to keep the TA and PH in check, I would not use cal-hypo here ever.
    18,500 gallon, 16' x 38' freeform ig plaster w/ 7 ft spill over spa
    Pentair C&C+ 420 cart, Inteliflo 4 x 160 pump - new plaster on 5/5/09

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok good info ......thanks much.
    Inground plaster 20,000 gal
    Whisperflo 2hp pump