left test kit outside all winter, CYA chem question

Hi,

I left my TF-100 test kit out all winter, can I trust the CYA test?

I just tested for the first time this year & filled the tube all the way & it did not obscure the dot at all.

No chlorine loss over night & no CC's.

I was expecting the level to be 40 like last year, but it has been 10 months of rain since last year.

I have been keeping the CL @ 7 like I had a CYA level of 40, but I have been l dropping to 3 after 8 hours of cool overcast weather, that is what made me test for CYA

My question is, should I add enough CYA to get me to 20 while I wait for more reagents?

Thanks

Bob

I was told by pool store guy, and I've read here that it doesn't go bad. I left mine in the garage all winter too (Portland). Two different test kits worth, one them has to be like 15 years old even. Both read the same results.

Did you have a lot of spill over due to rain?

Just checked my notes from last year, I never tested for CYA in 2010, weather was so bad the pool was only up for 6 weeks, CYA level of 40 was from 2009.

Plenty of rain in the last 2 years, I had to add quite a bit of water to open in 2010, only an inch or so this year.

CYA is probably near 0 now, the dot didn't even get to the level of the mid test pic in this link http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44

I am going to add enough CYA to get to 20 as I am burning way to much chlorine during the day with overcast skies & losing .5 at most overnight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.