Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Color Lights

1. Back To Top    #1

Color Lights

So my pool might be the most beautiful pool ever except it doesn't have the awesome colorful lights I have seen in other pools. All I have is a 500 w bulb in one end and I think a 100 w in the spa. I would love to have a color changing bulb in both the pool and spa. What are my options without completely rewiring my lighting?
    18,500 gallons, Cartridge Filter, In Ground Plaster. Jandy CL460 Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

MS Gulf Coast- Katrina Survivor - BP Hater!

Re: Color Lights

The light niche should accomodate the colored lighting, just check the size. Disconnect the cord from the transformer. SECURELY tape a length 1/4" rope to the end of the existing light's cord long enough to reach the light. Remove the light (mine only has 1 screw) and pull the cord through the conduit with the rope following. This will give you a way to pull the new cord to the transformer. Tie the end of the rope to something so you don't pull it into the conduit. After the old cord is removed, SECURELY tape the new cord to the rope in the niche and pull it to the transformer. Either lower the water level or carefully tape the new cord so no water enters the conductors. You may need to replace the transformer to match the new light's specs.
    It's an easy job. I just completely removed my colored light and cord to do a thorough cleaning of the light and the niche. Did the exact job described above. I'm sure the spa is exactly the same procedure.
    15,000 gal Sun Fiberglass, Glass/Lexan/Aluminum Enclosed Room, 1.5 hp Pentair Whisperflow Pump, Triton 100- 600# Sand Filter, Heat Siphon Heat Pump, 3 Dbl. Seats w/8 Jets, Waterfall, 8' Interfab Slide, Pentair SAm Spectrum Amerlite Pool Light, Stenner MHP5 Chlorine Pump, Kreepy Krauly Vacuum, Bleach, 50 ppm Borates, TF 100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

No need to change the fixture, just change the bulb

J and J electronics offers a 3g LED color changing solutions that will fit popular Hayward and Pentair light niches.
    http://www.poolcenter.com/color-splash- ... hts-DS.pdf
    http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... tbulbs.htm

Here is a YouTube video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOUtwMe-Ivk

Be sure to order the correct voltage 12vdc or 120vac and select the correct bulb for a pool or a spa.

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

[quote="Poolschoolgrad"]No need to change the fixture, just change the bulb

Just goes to show how much I know!
    What he said. = )
    15,000 gal Sun Fiberglass, Glass/Lexan/Aluminum Enclosed Room, 1.5 hp Pentair Whisperflow Pump, Triton 100- 600# Sand Filter, Heat Siphon Heat Pump, 3 Dbl. Seats w/8 Jets, Waterfall, 8' Interfab Slide, Pentair SAm Spectrum Amerlite Pool Light, Stenner MHP5 Chlorine Pump, Kreepy Krauly Vacuum, Bleach, 50 ppm Borates, TF 100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Captjohn

Technology and new products are introduced at a lightning fast pace. It is almost impossible to keep up with all the latest products. This is why on-line forums like this one are such great tools for the DIY pool owner. Early 2g replacement LED bulbs offered the color changing capabilities of more expensive lights, but lacked the brightness. J and J electronics promotes these new 3g bulbs as having better light output.

For larger pools or for L-shaped pools, the extra light output of the more expensive LED bulb/fixture combinations may be worth the extra expense. If this is the case, then the answer you provided was correct.
    The replacement bulbs may not be able to match the light output of a Hayward Colorlogic 4.0 or a Pentair Intellibright but for half the price and ease of installation, they are certainly worth a look.

BrownChristian

Power usage is much less from the LED's. If you use your pool light regularly, this can save a few dollars on your utility bill.
    The color changing LED lights offer a fantastic light show, but be aware that the light output is going to be about 1/2 of what you see from your 500 W incandescent. In the Spa, where light output is not as critical, the soft color changing mood light of the LED's is fantastic.

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the reassurance TSG. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! LOL
    Now Brownchristian has some decisions to make.