Thanks for the Help

brownchristian

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, TX
After four days my TA measured at 80 from 260. Can't believe it only took 4 days, completely expected it to take several weeks. I am the proud new owner of 6 gallons of MA which I am sure I will use over time but I haven't had to add in 2 days so I suspect these 6 gallons may last me a while.

You guys are so smart. My pool looks awesome. New neighbor down the street is getting a pool installed next week. Already debating if I should teach them about BBB or just let them go with the PB recommendation. I get all sorts of funny looks when I say I use bleach as chlorine.

The rule is that it takes 25-1/2 fluid ounces of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid) to lower the Total Alkalinity (TA) by 10 ppm in 10,000 gallons. So going fro 260 to 80 in 18,500 gallons should have taken 849 fluid ounces or 6.6 gallons. However, from this thread it sounds like you only added 111 ounces to get from 280 to 150 and then 43 plus 71 ounces to get to 140 and then to 110 and then 80. So unless you didn't tell us about all the acid you were adding you added much less than expected. I wonder if your 280 reading wasn't correct. Static electricity can make the drops shoot out too small from the TA titrating reagent (R-0009) giving you a false high reading. Wiping the dropper tip with a moist cloth or tissue usually resolves that problem.

I didn't report all of my readings if the MA I added but I only used close to 3 gallons. I guess my original reading could of been off. Pretty sure I used the wet cloth but maybe I missed a couple times. Just glad I am within the correct range now.

Glad you got such great results so quickly .. but who would have expected less? :wink: These people won't steer you wrong.

If you do venture to tell your neighbor about BBB you may get some funny looks from your neighbor as well. Many will take it easier if you say you use "liquid chlorine" and then give them information about the site. Would be great if you and your neighbor both had trouble free pools! Good Luck :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.