Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Michael in Mckinney - 1st Estimate

1. Back To Top    #1

Michael in Mckinney - 1st Estimate

This comes from Clarity Pools. Seems a little high to me, but we still have 3 more estimates coming in. I asked for the autopilot digital SWG but he was still pushing the pentair saying it was cheaper with a longer warranty. I told him I liked the display telling me specifically how much salt to add but he said all of these units get un-calibrated quickly.

In our first pass with them we had "wall to wall" decking with sundeck and that came out to be about 9K more.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Length 36 ft
    Width 29 ft
    Depth 3.5 ft / 5 ft / 8.5 ft
    Surface area 786 sq ft
    Perimeter 116 ft
    5 pool returns, auto fill, dual main drains, 2 skimmers and 2 LED lights
    12-inch tall 35 ft long raised wall w/ your choice of standard stone veneer $1150
    1.5hp Whisper Flo filter pump 2-inch suction lines $550
    2hp Whisper Flo booster pump 2-inch suction lines $650
    3/4hp Legend pump w/ Legend Platinum pool cleaner $1250
    60 sq ft DE filter $875
    Dual time clock w/ freeze guard $350
    IC-40 saltwater system $1200
    6 ft spring diving board $875
    Maintenance equipment
    Decking and coping
    Your choice of standard tile and cast stone coping
    639 sq ft aggregate concrete 4-inch drain system $5003
    (3) 2 ft sheer descents $600
    Upgrade to your choice of standard Diamond Brite or Noble Designer Series aggregate plaster $3462
    Re-route all sprinklers and hook-up to auto fill $1850
    Install 6 pallet of sod $1500
    Bobcat shuttle $650
    Fence at equipment for Stonebridge HOA $750

Total: $51,783
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Charleston SC
    10K flush deck Infinity Edge with whirlpool spa, Pebble Tec finish, SWG, DE Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Michael in Mckinney - 1st Estimate

Charleston SC
    10K flush deck Infinity Edge with whirlpool spa, Pebble Tec finish, SWG, DE Filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

Michael, I'm a little to west of you in Flower Mound, and Clear Tech is one who's providing us a quote. We should have it this next week. I thought about calling Clarity as well, but I already have 5 companies I'm talking to, and I have a good feel for two of them so far.

That price ($51k) is right about what we had budgeted, so it's good so see what's included for that price.
    20' x 40' / 33,000 gallon / IG / Vinyl
    200lb sand filter / 1hp pump
    4hrs full sun with about 45 min part sun before and after

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

You should get a two speed pump for the main circulation pump, and probably something smaller than 1.5 HP. Both getting a smaller pump, and more importantly a two speed pump, will save you a significant amount of money on electricity over the long run.

That filter is fine, but you will probably be happier with a larger filter. Larger filters filter better and go longer between backwashing/cleaning.

The IC-40 isn't such a great choice if you are not getting a Pentair automation system. Without the automation system you can only set it in steps of 20%, which is very limiting/wasteful. On the other hand, going all Pentair usually increases your warranty, which has advantages. Check to see if getting the IC-40 or not will affect your warranty, and if not either get an automation system or go with a different SWG.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I am wary of that fat top step. I saw that in my friends pool with a sunning ledge like that for a top step, the circulation there was terrible and that was where the black algae started. We turned the return near there to try to push water across that step but it was not really much better. I don't know what the answer is, maybe the water depth matters, or the overall circulation. Just take a look at it.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

Michael in Mckinney estimate #2 Premeire

We will proabably end up going with Premeire. They have been the most open about their costs and willing to show us detail to whatever level we like. They were also the only guys to say they would show us their prices and buy and install any other system that we can find on the net.

Charleston SC

7. Back To Top    #7
    Kemp, TX- 50 mi. south of Dallas

I am currently in the middle of construction. If you are looking for another company for comparison, I would highly recommend Hobert as an alternative. They have been excellent to work with, timely on each step and communication has been excellent. Their price was very competitive compared to other builders.

Search "New Build Kemp, TX" for pics of our progress.

Freeform Gunite, 21K Gallons, Gray Plaster, 570 sq. ft., 106 Perimeter.
    Pentair- VS 3050, Intellichlor IC-40, 520 sq. ft Cartridge Filter, Intellibrite LED.
    Sun Touch Controller, Legend Platinum Cleaner with Pentair 1.5 hp Booster Pump.
    2- Bubblers & 2- Deck Jets. Autofill & Overflow. TF-100-Test Kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Suwanee, GA

Darn lawyers, can't even call a diving board a diving board anymore... What the heck is a jump board?

A 2HP pump may be nice when running the waterfalls and jets, but overkill for just filtering. I have a 1 hp for 21k and it filters perfectly and I have fantastic return pressure. As suggested, you may want to price out a two speed pump. I would also request 2" plumbing.

I didn't think the first quote was all that bad, but the second is even better.

Design is very nice. Going to be a great pool.

** edit: had to clean up my language for the words to show
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

McKinney, Texas

I too live in McKinney in Stonebridge (Stanford Medows). I have been collecting several bids for a pool. Here are some of the folks we have been working with:
    Hopkins Pools
    Gold Medal Pools
    BMR Pool & Patio
    Hobert Pools
    Riverbend Sandler
    Premier Pools

Do you have any comments about any of these guys?

10. Back To Top    #10

McKinney, Texas

Would you look over the following equipment and give me your feedback, please?

I'm looking at a ~ 28,000 gal IG Pool/Spa

Jandy 48 SqFt Filter
    Jandy 2.0 Hp Variable Speed Circulation Pump
    Jandy PDA PS6 Controller
    Jandy LRZ400 Natural Gas Heater
    Polaris 280 Complete with Booster Pump
    Polaris 1.5 HP Stealth Booster Pump (for 3 x 1' sheer descents)
    Polaris 220V 1.5HP QT blower (for Spa)
    Letro Autofill
    Rainbow 320 Chlorinator
    Nature 2 Mineral Sanitizer
    Del Ozone Eclispe 2-Corona Discharge Ozoneator System (No UV Lamps)
    Jandy 100w Spa Light
    Jandy 500w Pool Light