NEW fill, just installed, results?

snyder5

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2011
So, only have the 6 way from Walmart right now, ordered the T100..

TC - 0
FC - 0
PH - 7.2ish?
T Alkalinity - 40
Stabilizer - 10ish?
Total Hardiness - 100

What to do? I know I need bleach, but man these colors are hard to decipher. Maybe I can post pic :)

I'm sure there will be some experts chime in here soon, but first and foermost get some chlorine in your pool =). You will need chlorine and some stabilzer. You can use unscented liquid bleach form wal-mart or such and wal-mart or any pool store will have stabalizer. Then take a few minutes and read, then re-read pool school. A wealth of info in there. Congrats on your new pool!

I have been using this method for 2 years, since converting my baquacil pool over to chlorine and I have to say I LOVE it. One I get my numbers in check at the beginning of the season my pool is virtually Trouble Free. Adding a few quarts of bleach a night and testing all my other numbers weekly is about all I have to do. Let me warn you though, if you are like me and love the sight of the clear sparkily water, then the little dirt that shows up on the bottom every day will drive you nuts...lol..lot's of vacuuming goes on here.

First, you should raise your TA to about 70 using baking soda.

Then, retest pH and adjust if needed. pH should be 7.4ish.

Add enough bleach to maintain about 2ppm FC.

Your fresh water fill CYA will be zero. It will only be in your water if you added it.
Add enough CYA (via sock method) to reach about 30 for now.

24 hours after your CYA has dissolved from the sock, assume it is there and adjust your FC level accordingly.

Do you know how to use the PoolCalculator.Com?

Congrats on your new pool :whoot:

Good for you. Yes, the order of importance is pH first (since that can damage equipment if too low, and too high is bad as well), TA next if it is low enough to affect pH in a big way (which yours is), the chlorine and stabilizer (CYA) at the same time. After that is under control, then fine tune the CH and TA as needed.

[EDIT] I have that wrong -- fix that super low TA first .... Thanks Butterfly

[quote:Jason Lion]There are a lot of special cases. A simplified list is something like:
---
If TA is below 50, raise TA to 50
If PH is way out of range, adjust PH
If CYA is way too high, lower CYA
---
Chlorine
PH
CYA
Raise TA if needed
CH, adjust CH on it's own day
Lower TA if needed
---[/quote]

K, this am did the TF tests:

FC .5
CC .5
TC 1.0
PH 8.2
TA 130
CH 70
CYA Have done twice and each time water all the way to top and still see black dot perfectly

Any suggestions, thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tap water will not have CYA, so you must put it in. Don't bother to retest for a week or even three, just proceed with your calculated value.

You can add CYA separately, or in combination with the needed chlorine in the form of dichlor. Pool Calculator can do the math either way. See The Effects of Adding Chemicals at the bottom.

No, I haven't added cya :) silly me, sorry. I'm trying the bbb method, so didn't know what to do from here tonight. I used calculator but it says to add muriatic acid, I don't have that? What is the sub using bbb?
I'm so lost and ignorant with these chemicals? Thanks!!

We suggest the sock method for adding CYA and only add enough to get to about 30.

24 hours after the CYA dissolves, assume it is in your water and adjust your FC levels accordingly. Use the CYA/Chlorine chart in Pool School.

For now, with zero CYA, you should maintain about 2ppm FC.

Use the Pool Calculator for doses. Post back with any questions.

You will get comfy with all of this chemical stuff soon :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.