Refilling Pool After Tile Replacement

May 2, 2011
Lancaster, PA
I just had my pool drained this week to replace the tile. The pool was drained on Monday and the old tile was removed. The new tile was installed today (Thursday), a light acid wash was done and I am now refilling the pool. I am filling from my garden hoses (2) using city water. I tested the water coming from the hose into the pool. Here are my results:

FC - 1.5 ppm
TC - 1.5 ppm
pH - 7.6
TA - 70
CH - 90

I calculate it will take about 40 hours to fill. I started filling at 2:30 PM today.

What do I need to be doing while the pool fills and what should I be adding?

If it is likely there are metals in your fill water, which is rare with city water, you should add sequestrant as it fills. Otherwise, there is no need to do anything until it is full and you have the pump running.

The pool is full as of yesterday morning. My test results showed:

FC - 0 ppm
TC - 0 ppm
pH - 7.8
TA - 80
CH - 100

I added 360 oz of bleach and measured FC a couple hours later and was at 3.5 ppm. I tested the water this morning and was back to 0 ppm FC and the pH was going up (~8.0). I added the last 186 oz bottle of bleach I had until I go to store to get more. I have not measured the CYA yet as I am guessing it is zero with the new fill. I also have one of those floating dispensers for chlorine 3" tabs floating in pool but it does not seem to be doing much of anything to help chlorine level. The water is crystal clear and I don't want to lose it.

After a drain/refill there won't be any CYA in the water. Without CYA you will lose all of your chlorine each day to sunlight. Until you have CYA in the water you should add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening. You should also get started on adding CYA.

The trichlor floater only adds chemicals very slowly. It will help, but not do a whole lot.

gzavilla said:
Thanks for the quick response. Should I get stabilizer at pool store and add it? What about the pH - should I add MA to get it down slightly?
Yes, use muriatic acid and lower your pH ASAP.

You can buy CYA/stabilizer/conditioner from WallyWorld, big box stores or pool store.

Got the chemicals needed at the big box store. Pool calculator said to add 7 lbs of CYA, I bought two 3 lb containers and added both. I also added 37 oz of Muriatic Acid to lower the pH. Waited 30 minutes between the addition of the MA and the CYA. Also added anothe 182 oz of bleach after the CYA addition. Just texted the numbers 2 hours after last addition.

FC - 4 ppm
TC - 4 ppm
pH - 7.0 :(
TA - 80
CH - 90

Looks like I overshot the pH, I guess the combination of MA and CYA additions. I guess I can aerate using the spa air bubbler to get pH up.

Do you think this will work or do I need to use something else to raise pH?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool calculator said to add 7 lbs of CYA, I bought two 3 lb containers and added both
Well, the pool calc said 7.5 lbs to get your pool to 30 CYA. You have a large pool!

Adding 6#'s will get you only to about 24 CYA, which is lower than our min recommendation and almost not detectable on the CYA test.

You already know where I am going with this.....so, I suggest you get another bucket and add 3 more pounds to get your CYA to about 36.
That is a nice number, 36, and should take good care of your chlorine during the day :)

You don't have to do it today, but I suggest to do it soon.

gzavilla said:
How long does it take to bring pH up using bubbler? I have 6 jets bubbling in the spa.
[s:cr0y3eqv]dunno, every pool is different. Could be hours or days.

Some folks will be along soon with their ideas on this.[/s:cr0y3eqv]

Can we see a pic of your pool? :-D

Edit: Just checked your #'s in the pool calculator and you should go ahead and raise your pH to about 7.5 with borax.

Just checked the FC and pH after wife and daughter swam for about an hour and we had the spa running for another 45 minutes. pH is now at 7.3 and FC is at 5. I'll check full set of numbers in the morning and get more CYA if needed.
I will post a picture as soon as I can.

gzavilla said:
Just checked the FC and pH after wife and daughter swam for about an hour and we had the spa running for another 45 minutes. pH is now at 7.3 and FC is at 5. I'll check full set of numbers in the morning and get more CYA if needed.
I will post a picture as soon as I can.

Good, we love pics :-D

Suggestions:

1. Raise your pH to 7.5 ASAP.

2. Add an add'l 3 pounds of CYA to increase your level to about 36 and,

3. Add enough CH to get to somewhere between 250 and 350 ASAP.

Once this is done, your pool should be pretty happy :whoot:

Now, I wanna ask how you plan to chlorinate your pool:

Will you be a jug dumper (add liquid chlorine/bleach every night)?

or tabs?

or liquidator?

or SWG?

Kinda need to know what your plans are so we can give better information :)

I have been using bleach (jug dumper) for the past several weeks to adjust chlorine level, however, I have about 30 lbs of 3" tabs to use up also so I have a floating dispenser in the pool. I was thinking of adding a chlorine injection system next year with a pump and 15 gallon tank.

Here is pool picture from tonight:
[attachment=0:yvek5y0h]IMG_2500.jpg[/attachment:yvek5y0h]

Attachments

• IMG_2500.jpg
    IMG_2500.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 44
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.