Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: CYA Question

  1. Back To Top    #1
    apwelb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    58

    CYA Question

    I just got my TF test kit, so I am excited to start using it.

    I have read alot of what is on the forum and have basically formed an opinion that 50ppm CYA is probably an ideal level for me because living in MN, the sun isn't quite as intense up here as in other climates and being this is my first season I want to be able to achieve shock at lower levels and be able to maintain TC at a lower level should things get away from me. (so far so good but given the battle I had clearing the pool up I am still kind of looking at it out of the corner of my eye waiting for it to basically morph into a swamp again overnight )

    So, fundamentally, is this a good policy assuming I push it up to around 70 when I winterize it or am I coming to a faulty conclusion?
    30,000 gallons, Hayward S244T Sand Filter; 160 lpm, WhisperFlo; 1HP, IG, vinyl

  2. Back To Top    #2
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: CYA Question

    CYA around 30 to 50 is our recommended CYA level when you don't have a SWG. I don't understand what you mean by "I push it up to around 70 when I winterize"? If you are talking about CYA, why would you want to do that?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,045

    Re: CYA Question

    As long as you do your daily testing of pH and FC, your pool will not morph into a swamp overnight! lol But, you have to do your part!

    I see absolutely no reason for you to increase your CYA to 70 before closing.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

    ~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  4. Back To Top    #4
    apwelb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    58

    Re: CYA Question

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I don't understand what you mean by "I push it up to around 70 when I winterize"? If you are talking about CYA, why would you want to do that?
    I don't know. Maybe I am still in the information overload stage. For some reason I was under the impression it would be helpful to raise the level before winterizing to help maintain TC levels.

    I take it I should just pick a level and maintain it through winterization.
    30,000 gallons, Hayward S244T Sand Filter; 160 lpm, WhisperFlo; 1HP, IG, vinyl

  5. Back To Top    #5
    apwelb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    58

    Re: CYA Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    As long as you do your daily testing of pH and FC, your pool will not morph into a swamp overnight! lol But, you have to do your part!

    I see absolutely no reason for you to increase your CYA to 70 before closing.

    OK. Thanks. I actually had a dream I walked out and it was brown again.......I woke up in a cold sweat .

    Thanks for replying to the thoughts swirling around my head.
    30,000 gallons, Hayward S244T Sand Filter; 160 lpm, WhisperFlo; 1HP, IG, vinyl

  6. Back To Top    #6
    apwelb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    58

    Re: CYA Question

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    CYA around 30 to 50 is our recommended CYA level when you don't have a SWG. I don't understand what you mean by "I push it up to around 70 when I winterize"? If you are talking about CYA, why would you want to do that?
    The one thing I would state is I recall reading posts where it was implied 70 may be an ideal level and there was a lot of discussion around it. I am probably taking it out of context, but as I read the charts and thought about my own situation, it just seemed like a high level and I was of the mind set 40-50ppm was fine.
    30,000 gallons, Hayward S244T Sand Filter; 160 lpm, WhisperFlo; 1HP, IG, vinyl

  7. Back To Top    #7
    frogabog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: CYA Question

    50 is too high for me (I bet we're less sunny than your location is... I use the clouds every day to read my color tests against), plus I prefer to use a cheapo OTO test in the evening, max on those is 5ppm. At 50ppm CYA, your minimum is 4, and that negates being able to use the OTO test except when your pool is nearly depleted of free chlorine. You say you want shock level to be lower, but raising your CYA means a higher shock level.

    Maybe compromise and set your CYA goal at 40. That's still in the easy to manage range although I kinda freaked when I overshot CYA this year and hit 40. I like 30.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

  8. Back To Top    #8
    apwelb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    58

    Re: CYA Question

    Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    50 is too high for me (I bet we're less sunny than your location is... I use the clouds every day to read my color tests against), plus I prefer to use a cheapo OTO test in the evening, max on those is 5ppm. At 50ppm CYA, your minimum is 4, and that negates being able to use the OTO test except when your pool is nearly depleted of free chlorine. You say you want shock level to be lower, but raising your CYA means a higher shock level.

    Maybe compromise and set your CYA goal at 40. That's still in the easy to manage range although I kinda freaked when I overshot CYA this year and hit 40. I like 30.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

    I tend to agree and part of my reasoning behind maintaining it lower is so I can achieve shock level at a lower concentration.
    30,000 gallons, Hayward S244T Sand Filter; 160 lpm, WhisperFlo; 1HP, IG, vinyl

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •