Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What causes low psi?

1. Back To Top    #1

What causes low psi?

I used to have 10 psi on my filter. Now it is down to 2 psi recently. Does anyone know what may causing it? There is no debris around the main drains on the bottom of the pool. Skimmer is clean, too. I have not cleaned the filter for one year, but the pressure has been very steady at 10 psi. The motor sounds fine to me. I am afraid that the pipes from pool to the filter is clogged. But how likely is it? Thanks for your help.
    20,000 gallons, cartridge filter, concrete IGP, Bay Area, Northern CA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What causes low psi?

Most often it is a clog in the impelller which causes low suction. The second most common reason is a clog in the suction side plumbing.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your quick response. If it is a clogged pump impeller, I don't think I can handle it based on what I saw on you tube. I need to get someone to fix it. If it is the suction side plumbing, is there anything I can do to verify and fix it?

Will there be any damage to the pump or filter if I keep running it? Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sometimes you can reach the impeller clog through the pump basket. Remove the basket and try to reach into the hole at the bottom.

As for a clog in the pipes, a drain king can be inserted into the pipe feeding the pump via the pump basket and sometimes that is enough to free the clog.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

It actually works!!! Thanks very much.