Liquid Chlorine Price Conversion 12.5%, 10%, 6% 3% Question

cdoc

Jun 9, 2010
Just wondering if anyone uses some type of conversion in regards to Liquid Chlorine and the best value. Can I assume 6% price would have to be half of the 12% price to be getting the same bang for your buck?

Example if per gallon:

12.5% is $3.40
10% is $2.99
6% is $1.60
3% is $ .99

Not trying to drudge up math problems like if a train leaves Albuquerque going 40mph and the other leaves Tucson going 30mph which gets to Flagstaff first. More of just how much value to place on the different percentages and is it simply a numbers game? Thanks to anyone that can help clarify!

Re: Liquid Chlorine Price Conversion 12.5%, 10%, 6% 3% Quest

I was pondering the same thing today based on some new prices I saw locally.

One thing I'm wondering about is the shelf life of the 12.5% stuff, I believe I've read that the higher the concentration the shorter the shelf life, if true than were unaware of the potency of what's on the retail shelf. Personally the price difference seems minimal (then I again I have a relatively small pool), I personally don't want a sea of empty bleach jugs.

cdoc said:
Just wondering if anyone uses some type of conversion in regards to Liquid Chlorine and the best value. Can I assume 6% price would have to be half of the 12% price to be getting the same bang for your buck?

Example if per gallon:

12.5% is $3.40
10% is $2.99
6% is $1.60
3% is $ .99

Not trying to drudge up math problems like if a train leaves Albuquerque going 40mph and the other leaves Tucson going 30mph which gets to Flagstaff first. More of just how much value to place on the different percentages and is it simply a numbers game? Thanks to anyone that can help clarify!

I just multiply the percentage by the volume of the container in ounces. For example, 1 gallon of 12% contains 15.36 ounces of sodium hypochlorite, while 96oz of 6% contains 5.76 ounces of sodium hypochlorite.

That means the gallon of 12% is 340/15.36 or 22.1 cents per ounce, while the 3/4 gallon of 6% is 160/5.76 or 27.8 cents per ounce.

By the way, the Albuquerque train wins by about a half hour. :)

[/quote] By the way, the Albuquerque train wins by about a half hour. :)[/quote]

Are we talking diesels or steam??? Santa Fe or NY&W ???
I like that method of calculation, will be chalking that one down, thanks :)

I just multiply the percentage by the volume of the container in ounces. For example, 1 gallon of 12% contains 15.36 ounces of sodium hypochlorite, while 96oz of 6% contains 5.76 ounces of sodium hypochlorite.

That means the gallon of 12% is 340/15.36 or 22.1 cents per ounce, while the 3/4 gallon of 6% is 160/5.76 or 27.8 cents per ounce.

By the way, the Albuquerque train wins by about a half hour. :)[/quote]

Thanks John!

One last comment there has been talk regarding old product and specifically the 12%. Do you factor that in on your purchases? I can't say as I've ever looked for a good til date if there ever is one on liquid chlorine.

The higher the concentration, the more quickly the bleach will lose strength. Competent sellers usually purchase stock at a higher strength than listed on the package so that it will still be the listed strength when you get it home. Sometimes that means it can actually be stronger than the listed percentage, sometimes weaker, depending on how old it is as how carefully it was stored.

I was excited to find that our local home depot stocks 10% chlorine... unfortunately it's outside in the heat and since i've been using it this weekend it doesn't seem to be very strong anymore. I have to add more to get to target concentrations :(

The table at the bottom of this link gives the half-life of chlorinating liquid or bleach at various strengths and temperatures. Note that this is for high-quality product that is free of metals. Low quality product can degrade faster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.