Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Chlorine Price Conversion 12.5%, 10%, 6% 3% Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Chlorine Price Conversion 12.5%, 10%, 6% 3% Question

Just wondering if anyone uses some type of conversion in regards to Liquid Chlorine and the best value. Can I assume 6% price would have to be half of the 12% price to be getting the same bang for your buck?

Example if per gallon:

12.5% is $3.40
    10% is $2.99
    6% is $1.60
    3% is $ .99

Not trying to drudge up math problems like if a train leaves Albuquerque going 40mph and the other leaves Tucson going 30mph which gets to Flagstaff first. More of just how much value to place on the different percentages and is it simply a numbers game? Thanks to anyone that can help clarify!
    12k Inground Pool/Spa
    Pebble Sheen interior
    1.5 hp pump
    Cartridge Filter
    Salt Cell Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Chlorine Price Conversion 12.5%, 10%, 6% 3% Quest

I was pondering the same thing today based on some new prices I saw locally.

One thing I'm wondering about is the shelf life of the 12.5% stuff, I believe I've read that the higher the concentration the shorter the shelf life, if true than were unaware of the potency of what's on the retail shelf. Personally the price difference seems minimal (then I again I have a relatively small pool), I personally don't want a sea of empty bleach jugs.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by cdoc
    Just wondering if anyone uses some type of conversion in regards to Liquid Chlorine and the best value. Can I assume 6% price would have to be half of the 12% price to be getting the same bang for your buck?

Example if per gallon:

12.5% is $3.40
    10% is $2.99
    6% is $1.60
    3% is $ .99

Not trying to drudge up math problems like if a train leaves Albuquerque going 40mph and the other leaves Tucson going 30mph which gets to Flagstaff first. More of just how much value to place on the different percentages and is it simply a numbers game? Thanks to anyone that can help clarify!
    I just multiply the percentage by the volume of the container in ounces. For example, 1 gallon of 12% contains 15.36 ounces of sodium hypochlorite, while 96oz of 6% contains 5.76 ounces of sodium hypochlorite.

That means the gallon of 12% is 340/15.36 or 22.1 cents per ounce, while the 3/4 gallon of 6% is 160/5.76 or 27.8 cents per ounce.

By the way, the Albuquerque train wins by about a half hour.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

[/quote] By the way, the Albuquerque train wins by about a half hour. [/quote]

Are we talking diesels or steam??? Santa Fe or NY&W ???
    I like that method of calculation, will be chalking that one down, thanks
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the Trouble Free Method, and loving it!! Arrrrrrrr!!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

I just multiply the percentage by the volume of the container in ounces. For example, 1 gallon of 12% contains 15.36 ounces of sodium hypochlorite, while 96oz of 6% contains 5.76 ounces of sodium hypochlorite.

That means the gallon of 12% is 340/15.36 or 22.1 cents per ounce, while the 3/4 gallon of 6% is 160/5.76 or 27.8 cents per ounce.

By the way, the Albuquerque train wins by about a half hour. [/quote]

Thanks John!

One last comment there has been talk regarding old product and specifically the 12%. Do you factor that in on your purchases? I can't say as I've ever looked for a good til date if there ever is one on liquid chlorine.
    12k Inground Pool/Spa
    Pebble Sheen interior
    1.5 hp pump
    Cartridge Filter
    Salt Cell Chlorinator

6. Back To Top    #6

The higher the concentration, the more quickly the bleach will lose strength. Competent sellers usually purchase stock at a higher strength than listed on the package so that it will still be the listed strength when you get it home. Sometimes that means it can actually be stronger than the listed percentage, sometimes weaker, depending on how old it is as how carefully it was stored.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

what factors other than age will reduce the concentration? heat?
    6600 gal IG concrete/gemcoat
    Fresh water
    1 HP motor
    StayRite PLM 100 system 2 filter
    full sun
    Treasure coast, Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, higher concentrations are very sensitive to temperature, breaking down more quickly at higher temperatures.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I was excited to find that our local home depot stocks 10% chlorine... unfortunately it's outside in the heat and since i've been using it this weekend it doesn't seem to be very strong anymore. I have to add more to get to target concentrations
    -Tom

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

Pool Store free since May 2011!

10. Back To Top    #10

The table at the bottom of this link gives the half-life of chlorinating liquid or bleach at various strengths and temperatures. Note that this is for high-quality product that is free of metals. Low quality product can degrade faster.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"