New Pool and BBB Question

Ugh!

Okay, I just bought 10 gallons of store brand bleach (6%) and added to my pool 128oz. There is no rain at the moment, and provided it doesn't rain in next hour, I will test water and post results.

Ok here's my 1 hour later test results.

I added 128oz of 6% regular bleach @ approx 7:15 pm. Water sample taken at 8:30pm.

FC 43 drops required to change from pink to clear =8.6
then I did the rest of the test for CC. I got a very light pink tinge. Took 3 drops to change it back to clear, so thats .6

So FC= 8.6 and CC=.6

I need a level of 10 though for my shock, so I guess I'm adding more to get back to 10, right? That means I need to add 15 oz more of bleach. I will do that and then check back in another hour to test my levels again.

See y'all in an hour!

Ok, here's my 9:45 test result!

Added 15oz of bleach at 8:45pm. Pump still running, squeezed the sock containing the CYA granules.

FC 52 drops required =10.4
CC=0 (when I added 5 drops, the water never changed from clear to pink.

So CC=0 is okay, right?

Now, can I do the OCLT test tonight? Do I use my test results that I just took? It looks like we may get a little bit of rain, but I think it may very well miss us too. I don't see any other for the next 6-8 hours though.

I don't have a clear view, but I think my pool looks a lot clearer already! Did that Splashless Clorox do that? Or did I have something starting?Or is it even too early to feel excited?

Bama Rambler said:
You're doing right. With a CC of .6 I wouldn't worry about the OCLT tonight.

Do I keep shocking then? Does CC really fall from .6-0 in approx 1 hour? It seems so weird to me, but then again, I don't know pools!

I've been researching the splashless bleach too, and that it has ability to raise PH. So does this mean that since I added lo n slo to bring down my PH, I'm going to have to add something to raise it back up?

Don't panic or over think this.

One thing I'd do is start using the 10 ml test instead of the 25 ml test. You'll save reagent and you don't need to be more precise than .5.

Sonce your CC is zero go ahead and run the second half of the OCLT in the morning. Post the results. Don't add anything else to your pool tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Frustrated now!

We had rain this morning, but it stopped about 20 minutes ago.

12pm sample
FC=6
CC=0

Going to dump the required 51oz of bleach in (and I'm feeling thankful i bought 10 gallons yesterday), and try to check again in an hour.

Can I try the OCLT test again tonight? Looking at the water, it definitely looks much cleaner. I'm going to shut pump off for a little bit, clean filter, and let it "cool" down for a couple hours. CYA is dissolving pretty good too.

Ok, can you clarify something for me?

When I added the 31oz of bleach earlier when my FC was at 7, that was to bring it to 10 correct?

So my FC dropped from 10 to 6 this time? Not 7 to 6?

For some reason, I'm having trouble understanding this.

If you have added stabilizer, you need to use the shock value corresponding to the new CYA number. Don't test yet, but after 24 hours assume you are at the new value. 10 does not seem like a high enough shock value. And if it hasn't been 24 hours yet, just keep in mind this will be coming up soon.

Stabilizer has been in the pool for 24 hours now, and I put enough in to get to 30, so I should be shocking to 12. Not sure where I got 10 from, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I'm going to retest, and add enough to bring it up to 12.

Can we swim in the pool today? A friend wants to bring her one child over, and I didn't know if it was okay or not while I am adding CYA and shocking the pool.

Ok, well bad weather is moving in, so no swimming.

Just tested water 2:45 pm to find out how much I need to bring to 12.

FC-6
CC-.5

So, I need to add 63oz of bleach.

ETA- Just cleaned filter, scrubbed pool walls and bottom and added my 63oz of bleach. I must say pool looks a TON better already, even much better from what it looked like this morning. (Not sure if it's my optimism or that it truly does look better) I saw a little bit come up and when I brushed the bottom, dusty type. There are a few leaves on the bottom that my pool vacuum (one of those manual ones) won't get up. I've got to get in the pool and get them out, but we are about to have a nice storm come through. CYA looks to be dissolving quite steadily too. I mushed around on the sock until it was pretty clear, looks like over 1/2 of it is gone so far.

I know, I just can't help but get excited.

Test @ 7:00pm
(We had a storm with a good rainfall for about an hour, not sure how this affects test results)

FC 10
CC 0.5

Adding 21 oz of bleach, and will test again around 9. At that point, I'll decide on the OCLT test, but I think it's going to need another day of shocking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.