Plumbing problem?

Jun 20, 2009
Princeton, WV
Please see attached pics. My husband re-plumbed with pvc while repairing a recent leak. Appears to filter well, but when backwashing or on rinse, not alot of output, but good output when vacuuming to waste.
[attachment=2:37tlwgmu]063011950922[01].jpg[/attachment:37tlwgmu]
[attachment=1:37tlwgmu]063011950923[00].jpg[/attachment:37tlwgmu]
[attachment=0:37tlwgmu]063011950922[00].jpg[/attachment:37tlwgmu]

Attachments

• 063011950922[01].jpg
    063011950922[01].jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 063011950923[00].jpg
    063011950923[00].jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 063011950922[00].jpg
    063011950922[00].jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 175
Try checking the spider gasket. Rinse is the same thing as filter except the water goes out
the waste line. If some of the spokes of the spider gasket are damaged it could let water back to the pool on bw or rinse which would look like reduced flow out the waste line.

It's very easy to damage something if you try to move a sand filter with the sand in it. If you're not getting sand in the pool you're probably fine.

After rereading your post I'm not sure you have a problem. What you're seeing could be just from the added head of adding piping and moving the equipment.

Is the flow a lot less on backwash and rinse than it was before?
What's the filter pressure now and then?

I asked him about moving the filter. He says he never turned it on it's side when moving it, picked it straight up and moved it inch by inch. (He has a habit of doing 1st and asking questions later) sigh! He tells me that 2 yrs ago one of the laterals broke and he glued it back together. As far as sand in the pool, I think it's possible. I don't know for sure because I can't see the bottom. We have yet to swim this year...with no winter cover, algae bloom, leak, my mother passing, more algae cause we took awhile to get the leak repaired and then fill it back up. After vacuuming yesterday, there is something on the deck from the hose that looks and feels like sand. (At 1st I thought maybe dead algae). Yes, there is a significant decrease in outflow after the move during backwashing and rinse. As far as the pressure gauge goes..that's another problem, it doesn't work. We usually go by the sound, if appears to be working harder. This sand filter is 25 yrs old. The gauge did not work when we purchased it from the owner, and it appeared to be soldered SP? around it. We replaced it 2 yrs ago, and even with tape on the threads it leaked water into the gauge and the new one doesn't work either. Thanks again for all your help!

Found my problem! I should have checked 2 days ago when you mentioned it, but he has the hookups wrong! So now my question is, I have been shocking since sunday, with the hookups wrong I know I have sand in my pool but has it just been circulating the water and just not filtering it? If it weren't for the grandkids I say to heck with it and close it down!!! I'm not gonna add any bleach till he gets it fixed this morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was just posting a reply to tell you that I hooked up mine backwards and was doing the same thing on backwash. Tell him he's not the only one to hook it up backwards. :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.