Is wood in a pool ok?

Apr 23, 2011
I want to make a platform to help my son learn how to swim. I will sit in the pool when we are practicing and be removed when we are done. They have one at the swim school where my sons goes and he really likes it. It's basically made from 1 1/4" sch 40 PVC and has a platform on it. I think the one at school is metal with a rubber mat on it.. I have contructed mine already with just the frame with PVC ans some Stainless steel nuts & bolts. I want to know for the platform, can i just use a piece of plywood, either painted or with some kind of sealer that want harm my pool or kids. this will probably be in the water a few hours a week and i don't care about replacing it every year if need be. I saw some plastic boards that i could use as a platform at Tap plastic that is 1/2" thick but it costs about $13 a sq foot and my project is 20sq. $260...no thanks.

Cool. Thanks for the reply. I did wonder about plywood glue. I did look at the composite deck material as well. I have some laying around for my other outdoor kitchen project and tried it out. Works good but it is very heavy and would be difficult for me to move in then out again. Perhaps I'll just leave it in there since it will never rot on me. Thanks

What about top of a table? Sam's club has six foot by two foot plastc topped heavy duty tables on legs that fold under (you could remove them) for $30.

Wow didn't even think about a vinyl fence. Goning to head down to lowes and check it out tomorrow Thanks melisab. That may be perfect for me and I can cut it down to size. It's only $38 at lowes so it's right in my budget. <$100 for the entire build. I also looked at those cheapo tables at Costco to but they would be hard to shape as this is going in spa now. Kinda like a kiddy pool since the little guy only can run around the seating area. with the PVC pipe I can rasie and lower it as he gets more comfortable in the water. I'll upload some pics when I'm done. Thanks everyone.

nugimon said:
Wow didn't even think about a vinyl fence. Goning to head down to lowes and check it out tomorrow Thanks melisab. That may be perfect for me and I can cut it down to size. It's only $38 at lowes so it's right in my budget. <$100 for the entire build. I also looked at those cheapo tables at Costco to but they would be hard to shape as this is going in spa now. Kinda like a kiddy pool since the little guy only can run around the seating area. with the PVC pipe I can rasie and lower it as he gets more comfortable in the water. I'll upload some pics when I'm done. Thanks everyone.

Let me know how it works, I have little guys too and would love some sort of platform in our above ground where they could stand and take a break from swimming without having to get out of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry forgot to post the finished product. My kids love it!!! I actually made if out of those plastic tables like crek31 mentioned and it worked out really well, although a little hard to shape but it is very strong, even incorporated the steel cross members for extra support. Need to fill the steel frames will the expandable foam to help prevent rust, left one in there and forgot about it and it started to rust out after 3 days in the pool since the inside is not treated. My wife and I and the kids all sit on top of it while the little does laps back and fourth..It's great. The vinly fences were too hollow and would not support an adult. Total cost: 8 foot Table $85, PVC $40 , look on my kids faces when they cross to the other side of the spa...priceless.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 167
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.