Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is wood in a pool ok?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is wood in a pool ok?

I want to make a platform to help my son learn how to swim. I will sit in the pool when we are practicing and be removed when we are done. They have one at the swim school where my sons goes and he really likes it. It's basically made from 1 1/4" sch 40 PVC and has a platform on it. I think the one at school is metal with a rubber mat on it.. I have contructed mine already with just the frame with PVC ans some Stainless steel nuts & bolts. I want to know for the platform, can i just use a piece of plywood, either painted or with some kind of sealer that want harm my pool or kids. this will probably be in the water a few hours a week and i don't care about replacing it every year if need be. I saw some plastic boards that i could use as a platform at Tap plastic that is 1/2" thick but it costs about $13 a sq foot and my project is 20sq. $260...no thanks.
    20k Inground StoneScape mini pebble Tahoe Blue pool/spa combo. Intellifow VS 3050 / Intellitouch Control Panel 4 circuit / Pentair 24" Water Fall feature / Pentair Cartridge filter / Solar / Raypack 400k Gas Heater / Starite Max E 1.5 HP jaccuzi Pump / Sta rite Booster pump / Polaris 380. Click Here to see Outdoor Kitchen Fireplace Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is wood in a pool ok?

Is the plastic/vinyl boards used for decking an option? I think they have them at the big hardware stores, but not sure of price.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Plywood isn't a good choice. There are chemicals in the glue that can contaminate the pool and may be affected by chlorine. Waterproof synthetic decking, as nugimon suggested, is a better choice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Is wood in a pool ok?

Cool. Thanks for the reply. I did wonder about plywood glue. I did look at the composite deck material as well. I have some laying around for my other outdoor kitchen project and tried it out. Works good but it is very heavy and would be difficult for me to move in then out again. Perhaps I'll just leave it in there since it will never rot on me. Thanks
    20k Inground StoneScape mini pebble Tahoe Blue pool/spa combo. Intellifow VS 3050 / Intellitouch Control Panel 4 circuit / Pentair 24" Water Fall feature / Pentair Cartridge filter / Solar / Raypack 400k Gas Heater / Starite Max E 1.5 HP jaccuzi Pump / Sta rite Booster pump / Polaris 380. Click Here to see Outdoor Kitchen Fireplace Build

5. Back To Top    #5

What about a vinyl fence panel cut to fit? Would that be a cheaper option?
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

What about top of a table? Sam's club has six foot by two foot plastc topped heavy duty tables on legs that fold under (you could remove them) for $30.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow didn't even think about a vinyl fence. Goning to head down to lowes and check it out tomorrow Thanks melisab. That may be perfect for me and I can cut it down to size. It's only $38 at lowes so it's right in my budget. <$100 for the entire build. I also looked at those cheapo tables at Costco to but they would be hard to shape as this is going in spa now. Kinda like a kiddy pool since the little guy only can run around the seating area. with the PVC pipe I can rasie and lower it as he gets more comfortable in the water. I'll upload some pics when I'm done. Thanks everyone.

8. Back To Top    #8

While your at Lowe's looking at fencing you might take a look at those plastic shelving units you can purchase. If you just use a single shelf with the legs it might work for you.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by nugimon
    Wow didn't even think about a vinyl fence. Goning to head down to lowes and check it out tomorrow Thanks melisab. That may be perfect for me and I can cut it down to size. It's only $38 at lowes so it's right in my budget. <$100 for the entire build. I also looked at those cheapo tables at Costco to but they would be hard to shape as this is going in spa now. Kinda like a kiddy pool since the little guy only can run around the seating area. with the PVC pipe I can rasie and lower it as he gets more comfortable in the water. I'll upload some pics when I'm done. Thanks everyone.
    Let me know how it works, I have little guys too and would love some sort of platform in our above ground where they could stand and take a break from swimming without having to get out of the pool.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm interested in seeing your pictures if you have a chance to post them - cheers!

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry forgot to post the finished product. My kids love it!!! I actually made if out of those plastic tables like crek31 mentioned and it worked out really well, although a little hard to shape but it is very strong, even incorporated the steel cross members for extra support. Need to fill the steel frames will the expandable foam to help prevent rust, left one in there and forgot about it and it started to rust out after 3 days in the pool since the inside is not treated. My wife and I and the kids all sit on top of it while the little does laps back and fourth..It's great. The vinly fences were too hollow and would not support an adult. Total cost: 8 foot Table $85, PVC $40 , look on my kids faces when they cross to the other side of the spa...priceless.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (171.2 KB, 165 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (107.5 KB, 164 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (97.6 KB, 164 views)

12. Back To Top    #12

Final pic of the kids playing on the table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (183.4 KB, 163 views)

13. Back To Top    #13

Great job!