Help me make the perfect pool, well maybe

Hey everyone.

Posted in the "under construction" and didn't get the kind of response i was hoping for so i'm trying here with a different approach.

I saw a great thread where someone asked if you start over with your pool what would you do different etc. So kind of the same, is this was yours, what would you do?

So right now we have no specifics, only a drawing on the plans which states an oval pool 40' x 25' and 8' deep is the retaining wall and the rest of the pool follows natural contours of the land. See my wonderful drawing!

[attachment=0:2dz31sz2]pool%20plan.jpg[/attachment:2dz31sz2]

So my question to you, is what would you do? How many skimmers, returns, drains and where. Whats your choices on filters etc - All comments welcome!

Hopefully with your help we can create a fantastic pool and this thread might also help others.

Thanks

Andrew

Attachments

• pool%20plan.jpg
    pool%20plan.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 276
Put a skimmer at the extreme downwind end. Then one or two others spaced equidistant.
I'd plumb the main drain with it's own valve.
Lots of returns. If I could redesign my pool, I'd have returns near the steps so I could aim them at the steps. Too much debris settles on the steps in my pool.
Generously radius any corners. It's hard to brush otherwise.
I don't know enough about what equipment is available, but if the filter only has run and backwash, install a multiport valve in the plumbing. I have no waste setting and wish I did.
Leave lots of room around all the equipment and use lots of unions. open-letter-to-mr-pool-builder-t28680.html

Ours is free-form (it was built before we bought the house). But, I wish it were rectangular so that we could purchase an automated pool cover for it. We're usually sunny and warm here, but not that warm that we don't need to heat it in the summer. A pool cover would help to prevent that heat loss. In addition, we have lots of trees nearby and an automated pool cover would be very useful then.

Another thing is the depth. With the rocks there, kids will be very tempted to jump off into the deep end. Make sure that they are situated near the deep end and that it will be deep enough. Ours is 10'.

Yet another thing... add more than one lighting niche. The trend these days is to use lower output LED lights. Make sure to install 2 or 3 light niches if you want your pool well lit. Extra skimmers is a good idea if you have plenty of debris, and think about installing an extra vacuum side line to the pool for a vacuum-driven auto cleaner.

And where's the spa?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.