Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me make the perfect pool, well maybe

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me make the perfect pool, well maybe

Hey everyone.

Posted in the "under construction" and didn't get the kind of response i was hoping for so i'm trying here with a different approach.

I saw a great thread where someone asked if you start over with your pool what would you do different etc. So kind of the same, is this was yours, what would you do?

So right now we have no specifics, only a drawing on the plans which states an oval pool 40' x 25' and 8' deep is the retaining wall and the rest of the pool follows natural contours of the land. See my wonderful drawing!

[attachment=0:2dz31sz2]pool%20plan.jpg[/attachment:2dz31sz2]

So my question to you, is what would you do? How many skimmers, returns, drains and where. Whats your choices on filters etc - All comments welcome!

Hopefully with your help we can create a fantastic pool and this thread might also help others.

Thanks

Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards

Andrew

British Virgin Islands, Caribbean.
    Freeform pools - 12,000 gallons
    DE Filter
    In Ground Pool
    Plaster
    Pump Info to follow

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me make the perfect pool, well maybe

Does anyone know if this would be better in a different forum as i'm not getting any responses?
    Regards

Andrew

DE Filter
    In Ground Pool
    Plaster
    Pump Info to follow

3. Back To Top    #3

Put a skimmer at the extreme downwind end. Then one or two others spaced equidistant.
    I'd plumb the main drain with it's own valve.
    Lots of returns. If I could redesign my pool, I'd have returns near the steps so I could aim them at the steps. Too much debris settles on the steps in my pool.
    Generously radius any corners. It's hard to brush otherwise.
    I don't know enough about what equipment is available, but if the filter only has run and backwash, install a multiport valve in the plumbing. I have no waste setting and wish I did.
    Leave lots of room around all the equipment and use lots of unions. open-letter-to-mr-pool-builder-t28680.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ours is free-form (it was built before we bought the house). But, I wish it were rectangular so that we could purchase an automated pool cover for it. We're usually sunny and warm here, but not that warm that we don't need to heat it in the summer. A pool cover would help to prevent that heat loss. In addition, we have lots of trees nearby and an automated pool cover would be very useful then.

Another thing is the depth. With the rocks there, kids will be very tempted to jump off into the deep end. Make sure that they are situated near the deep end and that it will be deep enough. Ours is 10'.

Yet another thing... add more than one lighting niche. The trend these days is to use lower output LED lights. Make sure to install 2 or 3 light niches if you want your pool well lit. Extra skimmers is a good idea if you have plenty of debris, and think about installing an extra vacuum side line to the pool for a vacuum-driven auto cleaner.

And where's the spa?
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

5. Back To Top    #5

That will appear to be a diving rock and steps below are a hazard.
    Rocks below the water line are impossible to keep clean.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

The rock isn't for diving, purely a feature. The islands here are full of boulders so people encorporate them into everything. However, safety is a good point and didn't think of it like that.
    Regards

Andrew

DE Filter
    In Ground Pool
    Plaster
    Pump Info to follow