Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brown algae or dirt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Brown algae or dirt?

Hi everyone. I've been noticing that as soon as I vacuum my pool it seems like little clumps of "dirt" return. How do I know if it's dirt or algae? I live in VA where we have that red clay - it's just like talc powder when it's dry and blows all over the place, and I just can't tell if that's the problem or not. Here's my latest water test:

FC 4
    TA 90
    ph 7.6
    CYA 40
    CH - didn't check
    TC - didn't check
    Hayward 15x30 4ft deep above ground oval, hayward dreamline sand filter with hayward powerflo lx pump 1hp, BBB method, lil' shark cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Brown algae or dirt?

Generally brown dirt/drifts on the bottom while the water is clear and the FC level is normal is not a problem. Pollen and dirt will both accumulate on the bottom of the pool to some extent all the time. Dead algae can also accumulate if your FC level is a little too low. Try raising the FC level a little and see if that improves things.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Altoona, AL

Re: Brown algae or dirt?

I've been having the same problem mekaw. My water is crystal clear and my CC is 0. I'm thinking mine is pollen. It only started happening about two weeks ago. Hopefully it won't last much longer. I've been vacuuming pretty much every day to get rid of it.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!