Need help, dont know what to do

Jun 30, 2011
So, the past week I noticed the water was greenish blue. After trying to get all the leaves/other junk out of the pool the water did not clear up any. At this point I figured it has to be algae starting to grow. I ended up going to the dollar store and bought 10 things of bleach. The very next day the water went from greenish blue to very cloudy blue. I figured the only thing else I needed was pool first aid to get the water back to clear. So, I put that in and the water is still very cloudy. At this point I have no idea on what to do.

Pool info:

24 foot above ground pool. Roughly 14,000 gallon

Testing is done by pool shop.

As of yesterday:

FAC: 5
TAC: 5
CH: 200
CYA: 30
TA: 80
TDS: 500
Pho: 100
Temp: 70

Welcome to TFP!

It mostly sounds like you simply haven't given the filter enough time to clear up the water. If the algae is all dead you should see a visible, if small, improvement in the water each day. Have you been seeing any improvement over the last few days?

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

It mostly sounds like you simply haven't given the filter enough time to clear up the water. If the algae is all dead you should see a visible, if small, improvement in the water each day. Have you been seeing any improvement over the last few days?

Thanks.

Well, I added the bleach 3 days ago. Let the filter run all day/night. Gave it a day and it was still cloudy. So, I added the first aid with he filter running about 15-16 hours.

Should I just keep the filter running for a couple days to see what happens?

Did you add bleach 3 days ago and then haven't added any since? How much did you add? Shocking is not a one time event, it is a process. You may want to read up in pool school about shocking, it'll explain the how and why that makes it all make sense.

Run that filter full time till it's clear. Like, crystal clear. And make sure you're adding bleach every day to account for daily chlorine loss according to your CYA amount (CYA=30ppm => minimum 2, target 6, shock 13). In the evening, you'll add what you lost to get chlorine up to 6ppm. It should be 6ppm in the am, and after a day in the sun with swimmers, you'll end the day somewhere around 2-3ppm FC. So then you add your daily 3-4ppm of bleach, sleep and start over. I assume you're not using any pucks, but if you are remember these will add CYA over time which will change the above calculated numbers so be aware.

And get your own kit, the good one. TF100 is the best deal around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.