Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Did I really need Polyquat 60 algaecide

1. Back To Top    #1

Did I really need Polyquat 60 algaecide

Well I just put my new Intex Easy Set 12' x 36" kiddie pool on Monday. Tuesday I checked the levels and added the pool shock as per the Beginners Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools states to do. Wednesday I tested and my ph was at 6.8 so I added 20 oz. of borax per the pool calc. then 30 minutes later added the pool shock again. If I'm understanding this right I need to add the pool shock for 2 more nights than after that just check my fc and ph levels and add bleach and borax as needed right? If I keep up with nightly testing and keeping up with my fc and ph do I still need to use the Polyquat 60 once a week? I'm having a hard time finding it in the stores under that name. I'm totally new to this and having a pool. My husband will kill me if I screw this up. He already thinks I'm crazy using bleach and borax. Any advice for me. My pool only holds 1779 gallons of water and I am using the Intex 1000 gph filter pump and keeping the solar cover on and running the pump overnight. We have yet to swim in the pool because I want to make sure the water is safe.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Did I really need Polyquat 60 algaecide

I am a bit new to this, but from what I have read you typically only shock if there is a *problem. If you can maintain a stable FC overnight (a loss of less than 1), and near 0 CC, then you are good shape.

As for algacise, again from what I have read here, it is not neccessary as clorine will take care of algae as long as the proper chemistry is maintained.
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*

3. Back To Top    #3

We recommend algaecide for seasonal pools because it will help protect you if you skip a day, and also because seasonal pool owners tend to not have a good test kit, so all of their levels are less certain. If you manage the pool methodically each day there isn't any need for algaecide.

Polyquat is never sold under that name. It is usually "Something 60" or "Something 60% strength". Look for something with a primary ingredient of Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Jason am I suppose to be using the pool shock for 4 nights at startup? That is what it said in the seasonal pool thing?

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep. Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine. Being labeled as "shock" doesn't mean anything, it is just for marketing. You use dichlor at the start to raise the CYA level (dichlor contains chlorine and CYA).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School