Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer blocked by shifted solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer blocked by shifted solar cover

The other day it was a bit breezy out, and the wind shifted the solar cover to one side. It bunched up against one of the skimmers, folded downward and essentially blocked the flow into it...luckily I heard the sound change at the filter and caught it before much happened. Anybody else have that problem? I'm thinking there's gotta be some sort of gizmo that you could hang off the side of the pool and prevent the cover from completely blocking the inlet.

Any thoughts?
    20x44x8 Cardinal vinyl IGP, 33000 gal, 2 hp Mustang, 60 SF CrystalWater DE, Zodiac LM3 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer blocked by shifted solar cover

Not sure about the gizmo, but you can try cutting a half circle section out of the cover in the area of the skimmer to avoid the issue.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, I thought about that but I'd still be nervous when a bigger wind kicks up.

Guess I'll be putting my inventor hat on.
    20x44x8 Cardinal vinyl IGP, 33000 gal, 2 hp Mustang, 60 SF CrystalWater DE, Zodiac LM3 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

How about a piece of screen with HUGE holes in it. Enough to let the water continue on its way, but enough of a block to stop the solar cover. Maybe use those command clips to attach it so that there isn't anything to mar the surfaces. Just a suggestion.
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!