New Plaster Startup Questions

wamaha

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2011
I've asked my PB this, but I always like to get a 2nd opinion, especially when I have absolutely no clue what I am talking about.......

Plaster was done on Tuesday, and filled over night.

When we were brushing last night (Wednesday), and again this morning (Thursday), we noticed some brown streaks in the floor and on steps. I thought it was dirt, but it won't come off with brushing (even if I lean into it a bit). Any cause for concern? Suggestions for removing?

There are also some white splotches, and a couple of darker blue spots. PB mentioned that the darker blue will go away with brushing, but is it the same for the white?

Also, I tested this morning too and got this:
Ph - 6.2-6.8
Fc - 1-3
Ta - 60ish

Since the Ph is still lower than our target of 7.2, I didn't add any additional muratic. Is this correct?

My pool had a low pH for a while during brushing for about the first week. I believe that is standard. Is your plumbing running already. We didn't have plumbing running until they got pH to range. My pool still has some splotches and streaks and I suspect that is dirt that is within the plaster duri ng the application when any dust attaches while still wet. I know much of the dirt slowly disappears with regular brushing.

XsAllOverIt said:
My pool had a low pH for a while during brushing for about the first week. I believe that is standard. Is your plumbing running already. We didn't have plumbing running until they got pH to range. My pool still has some splotches and streaks and I suspect that is dirt that is within the plaster duri ng the application when any dust attaches while still wet. I know much of the dirt slowly disappears with regular brushing.

Interesting...our PB fired up the equipment yesterday while putting startup chems in. Thanks for your experience with the splotches. That makes me feel better.

The PB pretty much told me the same, no worries, it will all get worked out with good brushing and good chemistry.

Hard not to fret a little, when your investment, that you can't use yet, is sitting there with stains and such in it....

wamaha, can you post precise test results? (rather than a vague range)

on my most recent startup, the directions stated to maintain pH at 7.2 first 30 days and apart from trichlor tabs (deliberately to get CYA slowly up), I added nothing else, ran pump 24 hours/day at around 900 rpm (circa 90 watts power use). salt was added after 60 days and had one small area that I treated with vitamin C tabs, all good now.

The PH, TA, and CH levels will come up rapidly for the first three or four weeks and then more slowly for up to a month. You want to try and keep the PH below 8.0 at all times if you possibly can. That often means adding substantial amounts of acid daily during the first several weeks.

It is also good to talk to your builder and get clear on what you are responsible for and starting when. You don't want to do something that messes up what they are trying to do, and you also don't want the pool to be ignored while you both think the other is taking care of it.

susa said:
wamaha, can you post precise test results? (rather than a vague range)

on my most recent startup, the directions stated to maintain pH at 7.2 first 30 days and apart from trichlor tabs (deliberately to get CYA slowly up), I added nothing else, ran pump 24 hours/day at around 900 rpm (circa 90 watts power use). salt was added after 60 days and had one small area that I treated with vitamin C tabs, all good now.

Yepper. In all honesty, I can't remember where I put my TF kit, so all I had was the strips from the builders packet.... that is why the ranges are there.

Definitely Jason. I chatted with my PB when he was here firing up the equipment on Wednesday. He gave me some tips for handling it thru the weekend, and told me to call if I had any questions. At least I know we aren't countering each others efforts.

Still can't find my dang TFKit. I know I bought it, I know I recieved it, I just don't know where I put it.....been kinda crazy around here. I'm sure it will turn up sooner or later.

Did another stick test when I got home from work, and the chrloine was down towards 0. I am guessing (from what I learned in Pool School :) that is due to no CYA yet. BTW, I impressed my bride with my lingo I have learned from the GREAT folks @ TFP!!!!

I tested it again this evening, and the FC was back @ ~3, but ph was still in the 6.2-6.8 range. (BTW again - If your building a pool, buy a kit. Sticks stink when you're trying to get accurate readings. You'll get colors that are between the two levels, and it doesn't help you get help.).

Streaks and splotches are already fading, so I was worried about nothing.

BRING ON THE 4th!!!!!

Found my test kit :D Of course, it was the last place I looked...

Ph was at 7.5 this evening, Fc was at 2. Looking good, so we splashed :)
I also tested my CYA - and it is very, very low. Didn't even register in the tube, so if I had to guess, I would say it was in the 15 range. When I first got home from work, I did the test strip thing, and the Fc didn't register much of anything. A couple of hours later, when the sun quit blaring, it ratched up to the 2 level. I am assuming, based on what I learned in Pool School, that this is due to CYA. Rainbow feeder is set at 3, and is still full. Cause for concern?

Got some googles, and looked at the brown streaks in the floor. Definitely looks like dirt in the plaster grooves, but won't come out with a brush. Any ideas?
White splotches are still there, but they are definitely fading. I am assuming these can be brushed out, but worried abit about the brown.

That is all fine. You don't want to raise either FC or CYA too quickly during the first week. It is normal to get them both come up slowly using trichlor tablets when doing a fresh plaster startup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.