Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater recommendations

hi, i'm want to buy a heater for our pool to help with the shoulder seasons - live in the toronto area. i like the idea of solar, but am thinking it will be slow to heat up and not serve our purpose so am leaning towards gas - would you agree?

are there particular mfgs that should be avoided? raypak, laars, hayward?

in terms of btu's i think i could get away with 100-125k, but am reading that more is better so thinking 200-225k - would you agree? my agp is a 15' round 48" deep

thanks rob

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Heater recommendations

It all depends on what your "purpose" is. Different heaters have different pros and cons. Which is best depends very much on your situation, which you don't describe in much detail.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

ok....not sure what more i can tell you in terms of purpose and/or situation. what additional info would help?

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a 100k btu heater and for my situation it works well, but if I were to need the pool to jump 10 degrees in a few hours I would be out of luck. Mine gives me about 1 degree/hr, having the solar cover on helps quite a bit too, to retain heat.

If you want to heat your pool faster, go for a higher btu heater. Most often I use mine to maintain a temperature or to get a slight increase, maybe 4 or 5 degrees between morning and noon on a cooler day or to keep it above a certain temp overnight.

I would also assume in your case there is the chance of it getting cold enough overnight that a smaller heater might not be able to keep up..?

If a 225k is in your price range, go for it.
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]