Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Burn off?

1. Back To Top    #1

Burn off?

I left my cover off all day today and burned off 8ppm of FC. Is this normal for a CYA of 70 with 103 degree weather? Also FC dropped from 8 to 0. If I add enough chlorine to get it back to 8, is it safe to swim, or do I have to shock it? CC was maybe .5 (very slightly pink) clear with one drop of R-0871.

Also, pool is not 17K, more like 13K gallons. I will fix my sig when I do some better measurements.
    Size: 11370 gallons
    Filter: sta-rite cartridge
    pool: In-ground vinyl
    pump: ?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Burn off?

Sounds high to me, with that much CYA. Might be time for an overnight loss test. pool-school/overnight_fc_test
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Doing so tonight.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a CYA of 95, I'm keeping it around 11 FC, yesterday was full sun all day long and I lost 5 ppm. When covered I average about 1.5 ppm loss per day.

Plus I REALLY need to clean it. I'm assuming my biggest problem is that the past week+ it has been covered most of the time and I don't pay as much attention to leaves and dirt collecting in the center, I'll bet once I clean it my loss will be much less.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

5. Back To Top    #5

Different problem now. I am shocking it. But, every time I add large amounts of chlorine, I get a much higher FC then I should per the pool calculator. I am pretty sure of my 11-12K gallon size. I tried to shock up to 28 and ended up at 40+. I waited 1 hour after putting in the chlorine to test. What else could I be doing wrong?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

What else could I be doing wrong?
    Almost always a calculation error. Post your math and there are hundreds of sharp-eyed assistants eagerly waiting to help you find it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Which calculations?

8. Back To Top    #8

I think Dave means the pool size calcs.
    Are you using 6% bleach?
    Also, Are you adding gallons or jugs? i.e. when the PC calls for 5 gallons (3.5 jugs) are you adding 5 jugs?

When I enter 5 jugs instead of 5 gallons in the PC I get that it adds exactly 40 ppm FC.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I am using 96 ounce jugs of 6% bleach. I am pouring in the number of jugs that it calls for. I do have the jug size set to 96 ounces.

to go from 4 to 28 FC in my 11370 Gallon pool, it says to add "4 gallons 2 quarts or 5.9 (96 oz) jugs" so I added 6 jugs at 96 ounces each.

10. Back To Top    #10

Test the FC then measure and add one gallon of bleach then after 30 minutes test it again. See what one gallon raises it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Is it mixing well in the pool? If you have double-checked all your numbers and tests, I would say trust your pool. I think the pool calc is intended to get you in the ballpark, and each situation might need to be tweaked a bit. Although, 6 jugs to 4 jugs is quite a big tweak.
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*