Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Intex Pool Owner, Need Help

1. Back To Top    #1

New Intex Pool Owner, Need Help

Hi everyone. We recently purchased our first pool. It is an Intex Metal frame 15 ft. by 4 ft. above ground pool. Stupidly, we went by the "Ready for water in 45 minutes" message on the box, set up the pool, and filled it with water only to find out that it was unlevel. Guess we should have broken out the leveler before hand. It looks level to the eye, but it was way off. So we drained the pool, and now have the pool upside down, and we are leveling the area of the pool. We are doing it ourselves, with just a shovel, pick axe and a few other materials. It is basically clay we are digging through. We have only worked on it a couple of hours, but someone told us that it basically needs to be level all the way around the pool, and we could put sand on top of the dirt, and then place a tarp on top of the sand and set the pool. Is this correct? Also, how long does it need to set after leveling before placing the pool? Because it has been storming here lately, the wind picked the pool up after we drained it that is why we have it upside down so the wind cannot pick it back up. Will it be okay like that until Friday evening? We are expecting our leveling project will be done by then and we can start filling it back up? Not sure if these questions are valid, but I'm worried we paid all that money for the pool and something happen to it before we even get to use it. Haha. Thank you in advance for all the help!!!
    Intex 15x42 Metal Frame Above Ground Pool
    3861 Gallons
    Krystal Clear 637R Filter Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Intex Pool Owner, Need Help

It does ned to be level all around, very level!
    It should be fine for a few days like that.
    If you can get the ground smooth and level then don't worry about the sand but if it's a little unsmooth you can add a little sand to smooth it out and then put the tarp on that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

this is a bit late, but how did you level the area? did you dig down the high spots to undisturbed earth, or did you drag the dirt from the high spots to the low spots? I have a seasonal Intex pool. I moved it to a new spot last year and did what you did - leveled it then put sand on it. If you have any disturbed earth you need to tamp it well before putting the sand down, else the earth will settle and the pool will no longer be level.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

4. Back To Top    #4

My husband dug down the high spots, and put the dirt on the low spots. We then put the sand on the it, a tarp over the sand, and then placed the pool. He tamped down very well on the side he built the dirt on, then let it settle for a day. Not sure if that was long enough, but he then had to end up digging a little lower down on the other side, and just placed that dirt in another part of the yard since we didn't need it. He did a great job on it. It's only off by a couple of inches now. I'm okay with those couple of inches considering how awful unlevel it was last time. I hope he gave it enough time to settle. This thing has been a hassle. First time owners, and we are living and learning. We are going to now work on lanscaping and a privacy fence around it. Anyone have any ideas on landscaping around a above ground? I'm thinking lava rocks around the pool since we have lava rocks in our landscaping in our front yard. And we are going to do a white vinyl privacy fence.
    3861 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jessikat3184
    Anyone have any ideas on landscaping around a above ground? I'm thinking lava rocks around the pool since we have lava rocks in our landscaping in our front yard. And we are going to do a white vinyl privacy fence.
    Hey, congrats on getting it back up. If you're going to use lava rocks around the pool, I recommend putting something around the base of the so that the rocks do not rest against it. Also, I would put down some kind of weed barrier cloth to help keep the weeds from growing through like you would in a flower bed. I'm thinking about putting up a vinyl privacy fence also, they look so nice.
    5,061 Gallon 16' x 48" Intex Metal Frame Pool
    14" Intex 55Ib Sand Filter and Pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you so much! What other kinds of things have you seen people put around the pool. My husband said sand, but I'm a little afraid of it getting on our feet and in the pool. I don't think it would be a problem, but not sure. Can't wait to get the privacy fence up. That will be a few months though. After all this, I just wanna enjoy the pool in this southern heat and humidity. Having a pool in the south isn't a want, it's a need! Send me pics of yours when you get your vinyl fence put up. I'd love to see it!
    3861 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

After trying and fighting with sand and rocks, I went with an outdoor carpet. It was cheap, keeps feet and pool clean, keeps the weeds out, and stands up to abuse (I once dropped a bottle of bleach on it, no problems).
    Coast Spa Fitness Wellness Infinity Spa since June 2017. 5200 Gallons, Chlorine. Previous Intex owner.

8. Back To Top    #8

I saw someone else talking about the outdoor carpet, but I don't suppose I've ever seen it. I am going to google it now and see if I can bring up some pictures. Also, is it available at Lowe's or HomeDepot do you know?
    3861 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

I just saw some pictures of it. Very nice. I think that is definitly the way to go.
    3861 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

I bought ours at Lowes.
    Coast Spa Fitness Wellness Infinity Spa since June 2017. 5200 Gallons, Chlorine. Previous Intex owner.

11. Back To Top    #11

I used a stone border with white river rock..great for drainage, doesn't get too hot when you walk on it barefoot either. Some potted plants..maybe I'll get more eventually. This project is still evolving and changing...I enjoy it so much - having some fun with it.

IMAG0632 by puying_7, on Flickr

IMAG0638 by puying_7, on Flickr