Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replaced T-15, now getting high amps

1. Back To Top    #1

Replaced T-15, now getting high amps

I've owned my pool for 5 years now. T-15 cell gave out, replaced it today. On the negative polarity, it's showing 10+ AMPS, and salt level of 2000. Salt tested at 3600. On positive, shows no AMPS, and the Voltage goes to Low Volts. Was hoping that the new cell would finally take care of my problems, but alas no. Also, I on my display, it shows a Communication Error 2. What is that? Any help appreciated! Thanks.
    Vince

12k gallon gunite/plaster pool w/ spa attached (spillover). Aqua Logic PS-8, with a T-15 cell. 3HP motors.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replaced T-15, now getting high amps

AquaRite units like the salt level to be below 3500, especially if the water is warm. High amps is a common error when the salt level is too high. That wouldn't account for the Communication Error 2, but it could account for everything else.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick response, Jason, I appreciate that. Here's the crappy thing about that. About 4 weeks ago, had the pool drained halfway for sand-blasting the tile, and because the salt level was too high. Put a bag of salt in, took it in for testing, still a little low, put another bag in, still low, another one, now it's good. Haven't added salt since, and now the level is at 3600. What gives???
    Vince

12k gallon gunite/plaster pool w/ spa attached (spillover). Aqua Logic PS-8, with a T-15 cell. 3HP motors.

4. Back To Top    #4

Got the salt back down to what it should be, and still, on the negative polarity, 10+ AMPS, and on the positive polarity, no AMPS, and then low volts. Any ideas?
    Vince

5. Back To Top    #5

Are you actually testing the amps and volts with a meter? If not I'd suggest doing that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm just going by what the display is showing. How would I do that?
    Vince

7. Back To Top    #7

Volts are easy if you have a multimeter. Just check the voltage at the cell terminals.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Communication error 2

"The display/keypad is not receiving any communication from the Aqua Logic
    main control unit. The most likely cause of this problem is a broken wire or
    "open circuit" in wires "2" and/or "3" in the cable between the display/
    keypad and the Aqua Logic main control unit."

Be sure the 4 wires are securely connected to the screw terminals both at the control center and at the wired remote.
    Carefully check for damage to the wire. Damage from Weed eaters are a common issue.

If you can't locate the source of the problem then
    Call Goldline @ 888-921-7665

Please post your results.

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Poolschoolgrad
    Communication error 2

"The display/keypad is not receiving any communication from the Aqua Logic
    main control unit. The most likely cause of this problem is a broken wire or
    "open circuit" in wires "2" and/or "3" in the cable between the display/
    keypad and the Aqua Logic main control unit."

Be sure the 4 wires are securely connected to the screw terminals both at the control center and at the wired remote.
    Carefully check for damage to the wire. Damage from Weed eaters are a common issue.

If you can't locate the source of the problem then
    Call Goldline @ 888-921-7665

Please post your results.

PSG
    PSG,

Thank you. It must be the wires, or the harness that the wires sit in. If I remove the remote from the control center, and stretch out the wires, the comm error 2 goes away. Inspecting the wires, they look good, not frayed or anything like that. Maybe just need to check the harness, or get a new one.
    Vince

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Volts are easy if you have a multimeter. Just check the voltage at the cell terminals.
    Got the multimeter, but again, not electronically capable. When you say cell terminals, are you talking about where the cell plugs into the control center?
    Vince

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, where the wires connect to the board.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator