Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Give me reassurance for my husband.

1. Back To Top    #1

Give me reassurance for my husband.

So my husband is out of town since the pool was filled. His concern is that I'm burning through the bleach too fast and so I must be doing something wrong.

At the end of the day I add 1.5 to 2 CUPS of 6% bleach to bring my FC back up to about 5. I'm still going off of test strips here but here are my typical numbers

Before adding bleach at the end of the day:
    FC 3
    TC 3
    Ph between 7.2 and 7.6
    TA between 80 and 120
    TH between 50 and 100

After adding my 1.5 to 2 cups of bleach in the evening
    FC 5
    TC 5
    All other numbers pretty much equivalent.

I don't have a way to test my CYA, but on Saturday after the fill I dissolved enough granular CYA to make the pool 30 ppm. So that is what I am basing my targets on.

I have been checking in the morning as well and the numbers hold up overnight.
    My husband is convinced I don't have enough cya in there and that I should not have to add bleach each night.
    I do live in a sunny climate and the pool receives about 6 to 8 hours of full sun each day, so maybe I should up the cya. Also how warm should I let the pool get with the solar cover on? Tonight it is reading almost 90, of course that is on the immediate surface. I keep the solar blanket on whenever we are not in the pool and overnight.
    Opinions?

Thanks!
    Cindy

4.8 K gallon AGP: sharkline opera 12'x17'x52"
    Sandpro 4511 sand filter and pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Give me reassurance for my husband.

Sounds about right to me.

My pool is roughly 3X the size of yours, and I run through 2-3 cups of 12% a day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

2 ppm of chlorine, which comes out to just over 2 1/2 cups of 6% bleach, a day is typical for a pool that size. If you are under that, you are doing great.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Tell that man to buy you a cool one! Good job.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! I'll be sure to show him this thread when he returns. Maybe I can get that margartitaville frozen drink maker instead???
    Cindy

4.8 K gallon AGP: sharkline opera 12'x17'x52"
    Sandpro 4511 sand filter and pump