I have recently purchased an Intex above ground pool. It is 6000 gallons and has a sand filter and a salt water chlorine generator. I filled the pool with municipal water, added salt, ran the pump for 12 hours, and then ran the salt water generator for another 8 hours.
The next day, I test the water in the pool, and chlorine is fine. Salt is high (5400 ppm) ; I guess I put too much salt (220 lbs. instead of 150 lbs.) and PH is some number beyond 8.5. The color was red which was not on the chart. Anyway since the salt level was high, I did not worry about the PH level, and I started draining the pool to add fresh water to lower the salt level.
As the pool was draining (only 1/4 of it) I thought I would test the municipal water, so as the faucet was running I cupped my palm and put the test strip in it for 5 seconds. After waiting for 10 seconds, I was surprised at the result. The reading was more than 8.5.
I do not know if this is even possible. Anyhow. Now the pool will be refilled, but I am afraid since the municipal water has high a high PH level, the end result will be same.
Is muriatic acid the only solution? Before I drained the pool, I added 36 ounces of PH Minus and it made no difference.
What would you advise?