Vinyl liner replaced last year

Jun 15, 2010
NB, Canada
I had my liner replaced last summer. I noticed tonight that near an edge in my pool design, the liner is already white (i.e. color worn off). Is this normal after one winter? It's not a huge spot (maybe the size of 2 or 3 quarters) and it's just at the water line.

I know it gets cold in Canada, but if a liner is supposed to last over 10 years, this can't be normal!

Thanks!

I would say no. We are in ND and had a huge amount of snow and cold this year. I have had absolutely no issues with ice scratching any of the liner design off. Maybe its a liner defect? If its under warranty, then talk to the installers and have them take a look at it. At least you can document it then so that the manufacturere doesnt come back to say that it was your fault and you should have turned it into them. Not saying anything else will go wrong, but I certainly would.

I don't think my cleaner would have gotten stuck where the scratches are. It's not a robotic one, it uses suction (unless that is what you mean by robotic).

It's just at water level and not under the diving board, but probably 5 feet to the right of it.

I'll try and post pics later tonight.

Well, i sent the pictures to the installer ( i will try and post them later tonight). The manufacturer says that it is a defect and covered under warranty. However, they do not cover labor.

The labor is a significant cost! I'm guessing a few thousand.

Seems to me a one year old liner should have labor under warranty. I am not paying for this to be installed again!

Has anyone gone through this before? Do i have any options? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

In my liner warranty it does mention that discoloration, whatever the type and cause, is not covered. Your warranty may be different. Replacement under warranty usually does not include labour (same as car mufflers, heatpump compressors etc).

Just as an aside the liners we have available here are Crud when compared to what is available in Europe, these are 3-ply laminated construction (polyester mesh sandwiched between 2 sheets of PPVC), 60 mil construction (that's 1,5 mm), available glazed or non-glazed, non-slip versions are available. Available in rolls 50 meters long, they're cut, fitted and welded in place, and carry a full 25 year warranty. About $30 CDN per square meter, plus installation.

Do post pictures of your liner though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
Do you have something that floats in the pool all the time? That's a scrub wear pattern.

I have a solar blanket this summer, but the pattern was rubbed off when i opened from the winter.

There is ice in the pool over the winter and last winter, the pool guys didn't instal the big black tarp i have to cover the pool. So i thought it was the ice rubbing the pattern off. Is that possible?

What i need to know is:

1) Will this deteriorate and make the liner wear earlier than it should?

2) The company says it is covered under warranty, is it worth replacing it now (labor isn't covered)?

3) I have a huge black tarp that covers the pool for the winter. They didn't install it last winter...would this prevent the pattern scratching off if i use it?

Thanks!

It's just the color layer that's rubbed so it won't affect the longevity of the liner much as long as you get it stopped.

What shape is your pool?

It could be ice rubbing but that looks like a horizontal rub and I would think Ice would create a vertical as well as horizontal rub. The winter cover will definitely help if it's the ice doing it.

How long would a new liner last if stored? (forgive my ignorance, I know nothing about vinyl liners really.)

Could you get it replaced, but wait to install it? Also, is liner installation something only pool builders can do?

I was thinking the same thing...

Could i get the replacement liner and keep it to install years later? I want it, but i really don't have the budget to get it installed right now.

I don't think it's easy enough to install it myself...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.