Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl liner replaced last year

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl liner replaced last year

I had my liner replaced last summer. I noticed tonight that near an edge in my pool design, the liner is already white (i.e. color worn off). Is this normal after one winter? It's not a huge spot (maybe the size of 2 or 3 quarters) and it's just at the water line.

I know it gets cold in Canada, but if a liner is supposed to last over 10 years, this can't be normal!

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vinyl liner replaced last year

Is it near a place where you've added chlorine? Sometimes that can cause some discoloring if you have high concentrations of it.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

3. Back To Top    #3

No, it's a few feet from the diving board. I'm assuming the ice over the winter might have done this. I am just wondering why it scraped off the paint after one winter. These things are supposed to last a long time.

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone?

Is it normal for a liner to have the design scratched off after one winter? It's near water level, so i'm guessing it was done by ice.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would say no. We are in ND and had a huge amount of snow and cold this year. I have had absolutely no issues with ice scratching any of the liner design off. Maybe its a liner defect? If its under warranty, then talk to the installers and have them take a look at it. At least you can document it then so that the manufacturere doesnt come back to say that it was your fault and you should have turned it into them. Not saying anything else will go wrong, but I certainly would.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you have a robotic cleaner that might have 'hung up' in that area?

Can you post a pic, or 2, showing the area and the diving board?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't think my cleaner would have gotten stuck where the scratches are. It's not a robotic one, it uses suction (unless that is what you mean by robotic).

It's just at water level and not under the diving board, but probably 5 feet to the right of it.

I'll try and post pics later tonight.

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, i sent the pictures to the installer ( i will try and post them later tonight). The manufacturer says that it is a defect and covered under warranty. However, they do not cover labor.

The labor is a significant cost! I'm guessing a few thousand.

Seems to me a one year old liner should have labor under warranty. I am not paying for this to be installed again!

Has anyone gone through this before? Do i have any options? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

In my liner warranty it does mention that discoloration, whatever the type and cause, is not covered. Your warranty may be different. Replacement under warranty usually does not include labour (same as car mufflers, heatpump compressors etc).

Just as an aside the liners we have available here are **** when compared to what is available in Europe, these are 3-ply laminated construction (polyester mesh sandwiched between 2 sheets of PPVC), 60 mil construction (that's 1,5 mm), available glazed or non-glazed, non-slip versions are available. Available in rolls 50 meters long, they're cut, fitted and welded in place, and carry a full 25 year warranty. About $30 CDN per square meter, plus installation.

Do post pictures of your liner though.

10. Back To Top    #10

Here are a few pictures of the worn liner...
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

Do you have something that floats in the pool all the time? That's a scrub wear pattern.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

If I had to guess I would say it was an animal. Looks like it is right near the waterline. It might have been trying the get at something in the pool or trying to get out of the pool.
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Do you have something that floats in the pool all the time? That's a scrub wear pattern.
    I have a solar blanket this summer, but the pattern was rubbed off when i opened from the winter.

There is ice in the pool over the winter and last winter, the pool guys didn't instal the big black tarp i have to cover the pool. So i thought it was the ice rubbing the pattern off. Is that possible?

What i need to know is:

1) Will this deteriorate and make the liner wear earlier than it should?

2) The company says it is covered under warranty, is it worth replacing it now (labor isn't covered)?

3) I have a huge black tarp that covers the pool for the winter. They didn't install it last winter...would this prevent the pattern scratching off if i use it?

Thanks!

14. Back To Top    #14

It's just the color layer that's rubbed so it won't affect the longevity of the liner much as long as you get it stopped.

What shape is your pool?

It could be ice rubbing but that looks like a horizontal rub and I would think Ice would create a vertical as well as horizontal rub. The winter cover will definitely help if it's the ice doing it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

My pool is roman shaped (rectangular with half moons at each end).

16. Back To Top    #16

That certainly could have been ice then. Banging against the corners would wear the pattern off pretty quickly.

I'd be inclined to have it replaced if it's under warranty.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

How long would a new liner last if stored? (forgive my ignorance, I know nothing about vinyl liners really.)

Could you get it replaced, but wait to install it? Also, is liner installation something only pool builders can do?
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

18. Back To Top    #18

I was thinking the same thing...

Could i get the replacement liner and keep it to install years later? I want it, but i really don't have the budget to get it installed right now.

I don't think it's easy enough to install it myself...

19. Back To Top    #19

Bump!

Can anyone comment on my previous post?

Is it possible to get a new liner and keep it in the box until i need it?

Thanks!

20. Back To Top    #20

That'll be something I'd ask the liner mfg. They'll have a better idea about how long they'll store unopened.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator