Can somebody explain what might have happened here?

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
So the wife decided to use the hot tub today. (spill over spa) without me there.

And when she turned everything off, she accidentally left the suction coming from the spa and the return going into the pool. Of course this emptied the spa and had the motor running on air for about 3 hours or so :hammer:

The only real damage was a couple of fittings were leaking. A bit of teflon tape and re-tightening everything had things running smooth again pretty quickly thank goodness.

BUT... While I was doing this and re-teflon taping and tighting, when I would turn the filter off and on to test, when it was off the gasket would fill up with dirty water. It looked like it was full of DE. When I put the system back on, that (Im assuming) DE emptied back into the spa making it filthy.

I ran it for a while and cleared it out and then turned the filter off and it happened again. The gasket filled up with DE water.
Anybody know why this might have been happening? I dont know if turning it off again would produce the same result. Im just running it now with the spa off... But things seem ok.

Thanks in advance!!!

You probably need to let the air out of the filter. When the pump ran dry, it is likely that air got into the filter. If you didn't let that air out, DE can come back into the pump and possibly go other places as well when you turn off the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.