Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Boric Acid - Just need someone to check my math?

1. Back To Top    #1

The Bluegrass State

Boric Acid - Just need someone to check my math?

I'm flirting with the idea of doing the boric acid thing instead of the Mule Team route as muriatic acid scares the bejeezus out of me... I simply do not care about the additional cost (if any).

That having been said, I assume my 17.5K vinyl lined in ground is currently sitting a big fat 0 borates. I entered 50 into the pool calculator and I'm told I need 668 oz by WEIGHT of boric acid. Divide that number by 16oz and it appears I need about 42 pounds of boric acid.

Duda Deisel has a 55lb bucket for $75 so if I'm right, that means I'll have some leftover for next year.

1. Does my math add up?
    2. Am I missing anything?
    3. Do you just dump 42 pounds into the pool all at once?
    4. How long do you stay out of the pool? That's a lot of chemical!
    5. No other chemicals needed right?

Thanks and thanks so much for all the help. This is my first year with a pool and it's been a piece of a cake thanks to the help here (especially Jason!)
    All I know about my pool at this point:
    Size: 17,000 Gallons - Oval
    Type: Inground - Vinyl - Salt Water
    Filter: Sand
    Controller: Autopilot
    Pump: 1HP Waterway Mustang - Single Speed (MUSTS-110)
    Heater: Aquacal Heat Wave
    Robot: Barracuda G4

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Boric Acid - Just need someone to check my math?

Yep, 42 lbs. It looks like you have everything right. I would pre-dissolve the boric acid in batches and pour slowly in front of a return with the pump running. Let the pump run for an hour, or more, test and adjust the PH if needed. You might need a small PH increase, you might not. Thats all.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School