Can I, or should I raise my CYA?

BadOleRoss

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2011
Lynchburg VA
Right now I am going through just over 1.42G of bleach a day with minimal pool use. I am adding a jug every days but every 3-4 days I have to add an extra 1/2 jug to keep my FC between 4-6/7. My CYA is at 50 right now, if I bump it up to 60 will that cut down on the chlorine I am having to add daily?

FC 7
CC 0
TA 90
CYA 50
PH 7.6

I wouldn't think so, since the range between target and minimum stays the same (4ppm). It just allows you to have 1 more ppm of "reserve".

I could be wrong of course. I'm just going by what the calculator says.

woodyp said:
Looks like pretty normal chlorine demand for that size pool to me.

Agree. You have a large pool and that seems like a pretty normal consumption.

Yes, you can raise your CYA but I think that it is probably good where it is. You just have a big pool.

One more little thing! With my CYA at 50 my FC should be between 4-6. I have been raising my FC to 7 because by the time I check it in the evenings my FC has dropped to the bottom of the range, usually more like 3-3.5. Is it worth adding that extra chlorine every night or is it burning off fast because it is above the CYA range? Should I just be raising it to 6ppm?

In a 27,000 gal pool using a large (182oz) jug a day, you're losing 3.3 ppm per day. That's not too bad, but you may be able to get close to 2 ppm by raising your CYA to 60. I'd try it and see what happens. Given the variability of the test, you may not have quite as much as you think you have in there.

I went ahead and re-tested my CYA levels last night while I was testing everything else and my CYA had dropped to 45ppm. With my pool being in direst sun all day that might be why I am going through, what I consider to be, a little too much chlorine. I am going to add some stabilizer today that will bring it up to 58ppm. We'll see what that does to my chlorine usage. I love this stuff......it's like my pool is a giant chemistry set!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, so I picked up some stabilizer at work to raise my CYA. Read the bottle that said to either broadcast in the deep end or add directly to the skimmer. So, I broadcast the CYA around the deep end and then prepared all of my gear to vacuum the pool. When I got my trusty pole, hose a vacuum head all hooked up and ready to go I got in the pool to lightly brush the corners of the deep end and noticed all of the CYA sitting on the bottom on my liner. IT was at that moment that I recalled reading something about a mesh sock for adding chemicals like this. Anyway, to shorten this story up a bit, I didn't like the idea of the CYA sitting on the liner while it dissolved so I vacuumed it into the filter. I figured if it was OK to add it to the filter, there is no reason not to vacuum it up and but it there. Anyone see a problem with this? Filter pressure went up about 1psi which I figure is about normal for this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.