Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I, or should I raise my CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I, or should I raise my CYA?

Right now I am going through just over 1.42G of bleach a day with minimal pool use. I am adding a jug every days but every 3-4 days I have to add an extra 1/2 jug to keep my FC between 4-6/7. My CYA is at 50 right now, if I bump it up to 60 will that cut down on the chlorine I am having to add daily?

FC 7
    CC 0
    TA 90
    CYA 50
    PH 7.6
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I, or should I raise my CYA?

I wouldn't think so, since the range between target and minimum stays the same (4ppm). It just allows you to have 1 more ppm of "reserve".

I could be wrong of course. I'm just going by what the calculator says.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like pretty normal chlorine demand for that size pool to me.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Looks like pretty normal chlorine demand for that size pool to me.
    Agree. You have a large pool and that seems like a pretty normal consumption.

Yes, you can raise your CYA but I think that it is probably good where it is. You just have a big pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay, thank you. I thought I was a little on the high side but I guess not. Next year I am going with a SWG so that will help a little.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

One more little thing! With my CYA at 50 my FC should be between 4-6. I have been raising my FC to 7 because by the time I check it in the evenings my FC has dropped to the bottom of the range, usually more like 3-3.5. Is it worth adding that extra chlorine every night or is it burning off fast because it is above the CYA range? Should I just be raising it to 6ppm?

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Pool calc says for 50ppm CYA, minimum is 4, target is 8, and shock is 16.

The chart in pool school is different than the pool calculator for some reason. I've been using the calculator numbers instead.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

8. Back To Top    #8

In a 27,000 gal pool using a large (182oz) jug a day, you're losing 3.3 ppm per day. That's not too bad, but you may be able to get close to 2 ppm by raising your CYA to 60. I'd try it and see what happens. Given the variability of the test, you may not have quite as much as you think you have in there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

solar cover will help to minimize the chlorine loss. i have 30k pool and without a cover it loses 1.5 per day, with the cover it only loses 0.5 ppm
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

10. Back To Top    #10

I went ahead and re-tested my CYA levels last night while I was testing everything else and my CYA had dropped to 45ppm. With my pool being in direst sun all day that might be why I am going through, what I consider to be, a little too much chlorine. I am going to add some stabilizer today that will bring it up to 58ppm. We'll see what that does to my chlorine usage. I love this stuff......it's like my pool is a giant chemistry set!

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

Okay, so I picked up some stabilizer at work to raise my CYA. Read the bottle that said to either broadcast in the deep end or add directly to the skimmer. So, I broadcast the CYA around the deep end and then prepared all of my gear to vacuum the pool. When I got my trusty pole, hose a vacuum head all hooked up and ready to go I got in the pool to lightly brush the corners of the deep end and noticed all of the CYA sitting on the bottom on my liner. IT was at that moment that I recalled reading something about a mesh sock for adding chemicals like this. Anyway, to shorten this story up a bit, I didn't like the idea of the CYA sitting on the liner while it dissolved so I vacuumed it into the filter. I figured if it was OK to add it to the filter, there is no reason not to vacuum it up and but it there. Anyone see a problem with this? Filter pressure went up about 1psi which I figure is about normal for this.

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

Good job vac'g it to the filter, BOR. If you had asked, that is exactly what we would have suggested you do
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

You did the right thing. If you read around here a bit you'll see that there are only a few chems that we recommend broadcasting. Salt's about the only thing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Good to know I guessed right! This pool stuff is getting to be fun!

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits