First test results

krisw

Jun 27, 2011
Here are my results (assuming I did this right). I just got my kit from Lesli's this afternoon. Is that right for TA to be 30? Stabilizer was started 2 nights ago and is still not dissolved. So that CYA might not really be accurate right? We had to turn off the pump yesterday b/c a part broke on pump, but that is now replaced. We also found a dead bird in the pool this afternoon. We had put in lo-n slow 2 nights ago per directions for a pH of 8 from a Wal-Mart test kit. I should start with adjusting pH right? The pool calculator says to add 41 oz Borax for 15,000 gal pool.

FC- 3
CC- 0
CYA > 30
TA- 30
pH >7

If your test says 30ppm CYA today with un-dissolved stabilizer still in it, take that sock out now. 30 is a good starting point, and some of us like 30 best anyway. Whatever hasn't dissolved yet will surely overdo your CYA if it's already 30. When you test in a week, don't be surprised if it's over 40.

Did you do the total chlorine test? Or because you've got 0 CC in your results there, is that indicating you just skipped listing TC?

Also, what do you mean by >7 for ph? Can you get a more accurate number? Don't mess with changing the PH till you raise the alkalinity a bit and get some accurate ph results. Alk that low will make the ph swing around a bit. Get out the baking soda, check the calculator and try to get alkalinity up closer to 70-80'ish, then adjust ph. No borax for now.

Additionally, your chlorine is almost down to minimum today which is fine but you need to dose the pool tonight up to 6ppm. If you dose right now it'll take 4 cups, 1 oz, if you wait a couple hours and it goes down to 2ppm, add another 1 cup 3oz to that (might want to do that anyway, in case CYA is over 30, by the time you hit 35 minimum/target/shock all go up one level). Minimum for 30ppm CYA is 2, target is 6, shock is 13.

I think the CYA was under 30 because I still saw the dot. The pool is in direct sunlight, so I was trying to get it to about 50. So, do I still need to take out the sock? Also, wouldn’t I need to aim for a FC level at about 5 with that CYA? My current TC should just be the FC + CC = 3 right? The pH is 6.8 according to my aqua chem test from Wal-Mart. It stops at 7.0 on the FAS-DPD test, but the result was basically yellow. I was very eager to get started testing with my new kit, but I definitely need to become more familiar with it. Please bear with me I'm pregnant & have lost my brain.

Yeah, I lost three brains due to pregnancy...

I think 40 would be a good place to start for CYA. So, it's possible you don't even have 30ppm yet, ok. Leave the sock in but squish it a lot today, that really should disperse it quickly. I assume you put 50ppm into the sock, correct? I dunno, I'd still go with 30-40 at first and see how you like it before going all the way up to 50. I like 25-30ppm personally, it makes regular testing easier cuz then I can just use the OTO test (which only goes to 5ppm) in the evenings.

At 40ppm CYA you'll need to aim for 7ppm target every day. Minimum is 3ppm. At 50, it's 8 and 4ppm. If you're at 30ppm today, then yes, 2 is minimum, 5 is target but since you've still got the sock in there and are aiming for 50, maybe just get used to 4 and 8 now and call those your numbers.

I would adjust alkalinity to 70-80ppm, dose the pool to target for 40 or 50ppm (you and your sock get to choose), and then adjust ph after all that swirls and mixes in your pool. Don't let the chlorine fall below 4ppm.

Ok, I took the sock out. It would be easier to use the OTO test everyday. I didn’t think about that. Also, I know my #s are way off, at what point are they in a safer range for my kiddos to swim?

Hi krisw and welcome to the forum :wave:

Yep, what frogabog said. :goodjob:

CYA level recommendations are based on many factors, one of which is where you are located. City and state. So, where are you? :)

How does your water look?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.