Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwashing and brown water

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwashing and brown water

Read the pool school article on backwashing. So dense I still have a question. Tried backwashing and brown water (I quess it was sand) blew in from water jet. I do not see a valve to open to make water go to drain pipe. Do I have to attach hose to water jets? HELP. Will try and attach a pic of filter set up. Pic shows pipe on right which goes to ground for draining pool but did not see water come out when backwashing. But only left it on for a few secs since looked like sand into pool.
    iPhone not ketting me add photo. Will add when i get back inside
    IG-vinyl liner, 39,000 gallons, Hayward 1 1/2 hp super pump, Sand filter (not sure on flow)
    Locale - NE Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwashing and brown water

Do you have a multiport or a slider valve?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Great question??? Can you tell me from these pics?
    Have also attached pic of plumbing setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG-vinyl liner, 39,000 gallons, Hayward 1 1/2 hp super pump, Sand filter (not sure on flow)
    Locale - NE Texas

4. Back To Top    #4

The position under the handle (opposite of the current setting), should be the backwash setting. That allows water to go through the pipe on the right near the wall. You should see water in the small sight glass on the port leading to that pipe when baskwashing. Once done backwashing you should rinse for about a minute, then put it back on filter (current position). You have a top mounted multiport valve.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Make sure the pump motor is turned off when changing the lever.
    I didn't know at 1st!
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

6. Back To Top    #6

Will try. Last time I did that I had brown water flowing into pool from water jets.
    Locale - NE Texas

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you backwashed w/no problems before? I don't know your plumbing or valve setup, but wondering if you're plumbing is set up incorrectly?
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

8. Back To Top    #8

If you have a spider gasket problem it could bypass dirty water back to the pool in backwash. I'd take the top off the multiport and check the gasket. Your local pool store shoud carry a replacement.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I Did the backwash and it happened again. Did it once again and used the rinse setting in between and now there is Bo brown water. Thanks for all the help. Next battle is algae. Got to go read in the pool school.
    Locale - NE Texas

10. Back To Top    #10

Right. You have to 'rinse' after 'backwash' each time.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre