Fact checking the pool store...

Jun 28, 2011
Hi All. I just want to say what a great site I think this is. I've already learned so much just by reading all the different threads.

First off, my pool looks fantastic. Crystal blue. The "Guy" at the pool store told me that I should be adding a gallon of liquid chlorine to my pool weekly as I have 2 dogs that swim freely. He also said that I should avoid shock and use liquid chlorine as its better. I find that convenient as they sell their OWN liquid chlorine which he pointed me towards. Is he speaking the truth here? I do live in AZ and temps are HOT right now.

The next question is quite simple. If my chlorine levels have dropped a little below acceptable, is adding tablets ok or do I need shock? According to the pool store guy, tablets won't help get the chlorine levels back to where they should be. He says liquid chlorine. Always liquid chlorine!

Thanks for your input!!!

Liquid chlorine can be used as shock also, but typically the pool store points to Cal Hypo or Dichlor for shock. He is right though, liquid chlorine won't add additional chemicals you may not need... cal hypo adds calcium, dichlor adds CYA. And, so you know, Clorox bleach is the same thing as his liquid chlorine, just maybe a different concentration. You can get by just fine with Clorox or other 6% bleach.

Adding tablets will also add CYA. Without knowing your CYA level, you can't really tell if you need CYA or not.

In regards to adding chlorine because the dogs are in, that depends. You add chlorine to keep your free chlorine level within range. If the dogs swim and your FC is still in range, then no you don't need to add chlorine.

Anyway, say yes to liquid chlorine! (or just store bought bleach!)

Thanks for the quick reply and I just finished reading "How to chlorinate your pool" in the Pool School. I can see how continually adding shock could create an issue with the CYA's. Liquid chlorine it is!

Thanks Robbie!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.