Sizing for new Filter for my in-ground pool

uniti

Jun 29, 2011
Can anyone help me please with the proper sizing and ((top mount vs. side mount for valve)) type of Sand Filter. I would like to get.

I currently have a 65 Hayward DE top mount,, just not doing it, pool is always cloudy and never gets to clear blue. I just moved in and I think the filter and type of filter was mismatched.

I also have a 1.5 Superpump as the pump. My pool size is an in-ground 17x35 oval, with a 4ft. shallow end and a 8th. deep end. Thank you for any help you can give me!

Charlie

Welcome Charlie,
Your filter is most likely NOT the reason your pool won't clear up. It could be larger but I don't think adding a larger filter will solve your problem.
Can you post a full set of test results?
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA
Salt (if you have an swcg)

Also, how does your water look?

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Ditto to what Bama said. DE by far has the best filtering ability, so hence why we would guess your chemistry is off, or perhaps there is an issue with the filter itself. But switching purely from DE to sand is not the solution to clear a pool, replacing a old/broken filter with a new one may be, but let's make sure before laying out the cash :goodjob:

Charlie

With an 18,000 gal pool, the EC 65 is a good match.
The EC 65 turnover rate is 32,200 gallons in 8 hours.
So in 8 hours you turn the water over almost twice with your system.

If the filter elements are in good condition and not allowing DE back into the pool, then improper water balance is the problem.
Post a complete set of water test results and follow the recommendations given and the pool will be clear blue in no time.

How often do you backwash and replace DE with this filter?

PSG

Well this has been going on for almost two weeks. All of the chemical levels, I was able to be where they should be, in the middle of the chart. I also had the water tested at the local Pool place. They said that my aklinity was a little low. (The DE has been going into the pool from the return and settling on the bottom and when moved comes up as a foam. I backed washed it several times a day. Sometimes 5 to 10 times. When I use the vaccum with this filter, I have to back wash the filter within about a minute or two or three. (with not much dirt or leaves at all) The pressure goes down low and I hardly have any return flow of water and also the suction in the skimmer is very low.

I cleaned out the fingers twice within 3 days of each other. The second time it had alot of DE and Alegie in there, which I cleaned out and checked the filters for rips, tears and any cracks in the top of it ir the seal. Nada, nothing was wrong it look all good. I have been running it now w/o DE and it seems to still have DE coming out of the return as a jetstream. I have added the following chemicals during this period of time: (5) gallons of liquid shock, (1) quart and a third of Black Alegie Out, (18 lbs) Alkaline Balance, (2 lbs) PH Decrease. This has been done of a course in several days during this period of time, besides (2) gallons of bleach and 3" tablets in the skimmer and the chlorine floater and the pump basket.

The was ALOT of leaves and dark green looking water when we opened the pool this season. The leaves have been taken out over a week ago and the water is starting to get bluish green but it is cloudy. But when you put some water in a clear jar, the water is cyrstal clear. ((Towards the end of last season, the pool was turning green and we could never get it back to blue))

I can test the water again tomorrow and send you the results.

Thank you for your help!!

Charlie

Charlie

Ahhh, so we have a swamped pool problem, not a filter problem. It all makes sense now.
5 gallons of 12% and a couple of gallons of 6% liquid is no where near enough chlorine to clear a 18k gallon swamped pool.

The good news is the DE filter can quickly filter out the DEAD algae if you add enough chlorine to say ahead of the growing algae. Because of it's superior filtering ability, the DE filter will need to be backwashed frequently.
The DE filter media is what actually does the filtering... not the grids. Do NOT continue to run a DE filter without DE filter media. It will damage the filter and the grids.

You need to read this post by Jason on how to turn your pool back into a sparkling oasis.
turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

My son recently cleared a swamped pool that had a DE filter following the methods here and he said he had to backwash the filter every few hours for the first couple of days. The good news was that this pools cleared up in about 1/3 of the time it took for a comparable sized pool with a sand filter.

Invest in a good quality professional test kit and take the time to read pool school in the link below
pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

pool-school/

Post your full set of water results and there are a lot of great folks in this forum who can walk you step by step how to get that water sparkling clear. When it is clear, we want you to post pictures. :goodjob:

PSG

Full set of test results?
pH - 7.2
FC - 0 ((how do you improve that?))
CC - ((what is this?))
TA - 40
CH - 3
CYA - ((what is this?))
TH - 0 ((total hardness))

This was before adding anything today. I started Power vaccing it today and it was working good until the pump took a nose dive. I also added the 6 lbs of D.E. and back washed it twice, the 2nd time after the flow slowed down after about 6 hours of running. I have been leaving the filter running until I can get to total blueness! Thank you again for your help!! So far my Pool guy has been totally wrong, with his advice.

Charlie

IMO, Time for you to take charge of your water.
In order to do that well, get a TF-100XL test kit.
Post your test results here and we will get you going to a perfect pool again.
CYA is Cyanuric Acid. Without knowing what PPM your at, you can't use the CYA chart for shocking, so a good test kit is needed to have accuracy for this number.
Great posts above, follow poolschoolgrad advice.

Chuck

As Chuck said, CYA IS cyanuric acid or stabilizer/conditioner. CC is combined chlorine. It's the bad stuff.

You need to shock and to da that correctly you'll need two things. 1) To read and follow the Pool School article on how to shock. & 2) A good test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.