First Test Results

Jun 24, 2011
Toronto, ON
Been lurking since last season, reading lots. I had an algae problem with no test kit so I had to use the store's results to try to clear it up. It does look clear now but that's not a true indicator I know. Got my 2600 test kit today and ran the required tests

FC 6
CC 1 -not sure how to get .5 since it needs one drop but I'll figure that out
PH 8.0 I know that's high and I do have some PH Minus I can use to get that under control
TA 180
CH 100
CYA less than 30 - not sure where that's going I do have some in a filter sock I'll move to the skimmer to get it in the pool faster

I'll go back and read pool school since I'm not sure what I should be trying to get under control first.

Get your pH down first. TA is high but nothing to be too concerned about unless you have issues. CH is good for your vinyl pool.

If you are adding CYA, don't worry about readings until you've finished your addition for a week. It can take a while to register.

For the 10ml sample FAS-DPD test, each drop is .5
For the 25ml sample FAS-DPD test, each drop is .2

Therefore, you actually have 3.0 FC, .5 CC.

Ph needs to come down. Muriatic Acid is the simplest way. But since you own some dry acid already, may as well use it up. You need to get some chlorine in there. With that low CYA, your FC is probably already down to 2!!

Richard320 said:
For the 10ml sample FAS-DPD test, each drop is .5
For the 25ml sample FAS-DPD test, each drop is .2

Therefore, you actually have 3.0 FC, .5 CC.

Ph needs to come down. Muriatic Acid is the simplest way. But since you own some dry acid already, may as well use it up. You need to get some chlorine in there. With that low CYA, your FC is probably already down to 2!!

Well thanks I guess I should have read the instructions better. I do have a jug of 12% chlorine that I was using to shock, I can pour some of that in.

RobbieH said:
You take the number of drops and divide in half, so if one drop is added, then it's .5.

Did you mean 2006 test kit?

Yes sorry I did mean the 2006 kit.

Even found that cheaper through this forum, my local pool store wanted to charge more than twice the price I found linked here through Piscines Apollo.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
justsayin said:
Still working on getting the PH down, chlorine was 5 today and no appreciable difference in the CYA level.

Are these the levels I should be aiming for pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Well, yes, those are recommended levels.

Have you met the three criteria that means you have completed the shock process? See red lines in my sig.

Whether or not you are done shocking, your first step is to lower the pH.

Lower the pH down to about 7.2 Use the PoolCalculator.Com. Muriatic Acid is what we normally use and it doesn't take so long to get the pH in range.

[Since you have a SWG, you are probably going to need to lower your TA (steps for this in Pool School: pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity ) to get your pH more under control (which is why I recommended you lower pH to 7.2).....but, you can start this process after you have finished shocking.]

How much CYA (pounds) have you added? When? What was your target/goal for the CYA?

I plan on getting some muriatic acid but I had the dry so using it, I thought I was safer adding some and checking rather than getting it too low with dosing too much.

With the sock that I've got in there now I've added about 5.5 pounds of cya, I was thinking 50-60 but the link for the swg levels suggested 70-80.

I've finished the shocking step but I can redo the overnight test just to be sure.

justsayin said:
I plan on getting some muriatic acid but I had the dry so using it, I thought I was safer adding some and checking rather than getting it too low with dosing too much.
Okay, but you can use the PoolCalculator and add 2/3 of recommended dose, circulate, wait 30 mins. & retest. That should get you close so you can nail it the next dose. We will help confirm dose w/pool calculator if you want. You'd just need to give us the #'s.

With the sock that I've got in there now I've added about 5.5 pounds of cya, I was thinking 50-60 but the link for the swg levels suggested 70-80.
70 to 80 sounds good if shocking is done.

I've finished the shocking step but I can redo the overnight test just to be sure.
No, if you are confident that you met the three criteria, you are done shocking!
I misread your first post in this thread. :oops:

Let us know how things are going. Welcome to the forum :wave:

btw, I use your username often in general conversation around my house .....justsayin :mrgreen:

An update got my TA down to 130 from two MA treatments (that stuff is wicked) so figure I'll need 2 more to get it into range.

I do have a question about my heater, it keeps giving me an E04 error but is working is it okay to keep using it or best to have it serviced to correct the error?

Thanks so much to all of you for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.