Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding 1 gallon MA

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding 1 gallon MA

Up until this point, my entire focus this year has been shocking our pool and clearing it up. Well, it's clear, and I'm moving on to other levels. Currently, my pH is 8.0 and my TA is 157. In order to get to my TA and pH goal, I need to add a little more than a gallon of MA. When I bought the MA, the lady at the pool store said to just dump it into the deep end in one place, but I am SO skeptical of the pool store now, that I wanted to check here for advice first. How should I add it, and how long should I wait to add bleach?
    Our is pool is a 33,000 gallon ig concrete pool with a cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding 1 gallon MA

I dump mine in near the return, slowly.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    I dump mine in near the return, slowly.
    x2 I then wait about thirty mins to circulate and add bleach.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

I also pour mine slowly at a return jet. I choose the one that travels the longest length of the pool.

I pour slowly with caution. You want to be careful working with acid, the fumes are potent at the 31.5% concentration and it is very corrosive.

-Tom
    -Tom

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

Pool Store free since May 2011!

5. Back To Top    #5

Listen to the advice given above...pour slowly in front of a return. The method the PS suggested is a myth and can damage your pool surface as explained in the bottom of the article below:

pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

You probably do not want to add an entire gallon of muriatic acid all at once, unless you have borates in the water. When making large PH changes, it is best to add about half the calculated amount, give it half an hour to mix in, measure PH and TA again, and then continue adjusting from there.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School