Intex SWG generates chlorine, but no chlorine when tested

Jun 29, 2011
Hello everyone, I'm new here but not entirely new to pool maintenance. I bought my 16' Intex UltraFrame pool last summer, and had no real issues with it. This year, the SWG did not work immediately after setup, and the water had no chlorine in it for about a week. After cleaning the electrolytic cell with vinegar, the SWG started generating chlorine. I know this because testing water that comes right out of the pump while running indicates free chlorine. HOWEVER, testing the water in the pool reveals no free chlorine, and no total chlorine (which makes zero sense to me). How can I restore balance? Here are my test results:

FC - 0 ppm
CC - 0 ppm
pH - 7.0
TA - 150 ppm
CH - I have a DPD test kit, I don't think I can measure this; can I?
CYA - I have not added any stabalizer (perhaps I should, but haven't). I also do not have a test kit for this.

Suggestions?

Re: Intex SWG generates chlorine, but no chlorine when teste

It is crucial to know your current CYA level. If you can't test it, you can get a pool store to test it for you.

Without any CYA in the water you lose all of your chlorine to sunlight just as quickly as it is produced. With too much CYA in the pool you can have a very low level algae problem with out any obvious visual signs of trouble.

If you have never used any chlorine tablets (trichlor) and never added any granular chlorine (dichlor) and never added any stabilizer/conditioner/cyanuric acid, then your CYA level will be zero.

OK. Since this is the kind of pool that I take down and put up each year, I have not added any CYA. I think that last year we used "regular" chlorine before buying the SWG, which may have accounted for my lack of problems. So, it sounds like I should first get some CYA for my pool. How do I determine how much I'll need? Should I buy chlorine tabs instead, for an initial dose of chlorine?

Thanks for your fast responses, btw!

You should add some stabilizer/conditioner/cyanuric acid to raise CYA up to around 70 to 80. It is sold under various names. Look for something that lists cyanuric acid as the only ingredient (95+%).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.