chlorine and Ph

What would make PH go down then? We haven't even swum much this year yet. It just seems to gradually go down all by itself. ???

H is convinced it's the bleach which I guess makes some sense since that's all we ever put into the pool... but... if bleach is ph neutral it can't be the bleach, correct?

We have a cold pool (right now it's about 60), it rarely gets above 75 even when it's hot out. The Taylor wheel says we're supposed to run ph high due to temperature (although this is all from memory, dad took back his Taylor kit with the wheel so I can't reference it). I raised it to 7.7 a few weeks ago, and it's down to 7.3 as of 3 days ago.

Yes, there has been some rain and I drained about a foot down to place a patch about a week ago. Fill water ph is 7.8-8.0 (or should be, according to the water bureau's website - they add sodium hydroxide to increase ph), so that can't be the problem either.

I have no CC, I dose to target (7) when it gets below 4 (daily or every other day if it's cloudy), TA is 80, CH 90, CYA 35. No one is swimming yet (kids gone till Friday).

Ideas?

I know I shouldn't hijack this thread but it's got a good title that will be searchable. Mods, move if needed or I can just repost.

frogabog,

How are you you testing pH?

The only unknown in trying to figure out why your pH would drop is the fill water. Have you tested it?

I don't think you have had enough rain to affect your pH, either, but put a plastic cup out next time it rains and test pH of the captured rainwater.

duraleigh said:
frogabog,

How are you you testing pH?

The only unknown in trying to figure out why your pH would drop is the fill water. Have you tested it?

I don't think you have had enough rain to affect your pH, either, but put a plastic cup out next time it rains and test pH of the captured rainwater.

Oh... well...

I've got both the taylor and hth OTO kits that test for ph. And then I've also got an electronic meter (the kind used in water treatment plants) that uses the phenol red and a cute little glass vial with some kind of eye inside... expensive machine that H used to check drinking water when he was selling Miox brand salt water generators to municipalilties (new technology back then).

I just got new taylor phenol red the other day, my old stuf wasn't even bad, they read the same. So, I'm kinda overtesting here maybe?? hehe

It really hasn't rained all that much. I still have to water the garden. I think I'll check the rainwater ph though, never thought about that.

I haven't tested the tap water yet this year. I cheated and read the water bureau's website instead. They say 7
.8-8.0 is what they target.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.