Which returns should I be using?

gms

Apr 16, 2008
Northern California
Hi All,

Moved into a place which has plumbing for two separate style main pool returns (as well as one for the spa). Understood that I keep the spa turning over to keep it filled and overflowing into the pool, but would appreciate some advice about what the two main pool returns are good for.

The first pool return is a set of 4 eyeballs on the side opposite to the skimmers. The other is 6 smallish (1/2" or less?) orifices on the bottom of the pool.

Just curious if one or the other is better for filtration, or circulation (for heating), or should I just run both at the same time?

Thanks in advance!
Greg

I wonder if the returns on the bottom of the pool are, or were, an in-floor cleaning system?

You definitely want to use at least the 4 eyeball returns. By aiming them correctly you will be able to get the water to circulate around the pool in a consistent way so all of the debris is drawn past the skimmer.

Our pool has floor returns and wall returns, they provide excellent water circulation in our pool. I run them both at the same time, if you have a heater they will put the heat into the bottom of the water cloumn as well as to the surface of the water. :whoot:

Hmmm. Got myself a little edumication on in-floor cleaning systems. These returns look too tiny to support any of the models I looked at, they appear to just be for circulation. Rob - I'll play with running both system and see what sort of flow I get...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.