Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which returns should I be using?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which returns should I be using?

Hi All,

Moved into a place which has plumbing for two separate style main pool returns (as well as one for the spa). Understood that I keep the spa turning over to keep it filled and overflowing into the pool, but would appreciate some advice about what the two main pool returns are good for.

The first pool return is a set of 4 eyeballs on the side opposite to the skimmers. The other is 6 smallish (1/2" or less?) orifices on the bottom of the pool.

Just curious if one or the other is better for filtration, or circulation (for heating), or should I just run both at the same time?

Thanks in advance!
    Greg
    gunnite bottom and fiberglass walls that have been coated with epoxy paint. Approx. 24000 gallons, sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which returns should I be using?

I wonder if the returns on the bottom of the pool are, or were, an in-floor cleaning system?

You definitely want to use at least the 4 eyeball returns. By aiming them correctly you will be able to get the water to circulate around the pool in a consistent way so all of the debris is drawn past the skimmer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Our pool has floor returns and wall returns, they provide excellent water circulation in our pool. I run them both at the same time, if you have a heater they will put the heat into the bottom of the water cloumn as well as to the surface of the water.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmmm. Got myself a little edumication on in-floor cleaning systems. These returns look too tiny to support any of the models I looked at, they appear to just be for circulation. Rob - I'll play with running both system and see what sort of flow I get...
    gunnite bottom and fiberglass walls that have been coated with epoxy paint. Approx. 24000 gallons, sand filter.