Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl liner replacement recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl liner replacement recommendations

I am having the liner in our pool replaced and am looking for recommendations on liner brands or specifications and what needs to be done as part of the replacement. The pool is now 20 years old, but the bottom, sides, and corners appear to be in good shape. At least there is no visible damage, depressions, or bulges. The pool is 20' W X 40' L, 8'6" at the deep end and 3' at the shallow end. It has one skimmer, two returns, one bottom drain, one under water light, stairs at the shallow end and a ladder in the deep end.

One of the main questions I have is about liner thickness. Is a 30 Mil liner worth the increased cost over a 20 mil liner. I've read some conflicting opinions and am inclined to go with 20 mil unless there are some compelling reasons for installing the thicker one. Also is there any positives or negatives concerning the color or shade. Do some colors (or darker or lighter colors) last better than others or is there any difference?

Thanks for any advice or opinions.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vinyl liner replacement recommendations

Well I will say from what I have hear, the darker the liner, the longer the color lasts? I guess it makes sense cause the lighter the liner originally it will be whiter quicker... As for the thickness, what is your corners? do you have the 6inch radius or 2 foot? I went with GLI with my new liner- You can see it on my build page... its a dark blue... ended up with a beautiful water color...
    Purposed new pool at home being built- 20x40 vinyl pool, 20ft vinyl covered steps, Automatic cover, 6 ft sheer decent, 4 lighted deck jets, lime stone coping, easy touch, heat pump, SPA- 8x8 fiberglass shell, limestone steps surrounding
    previous home- 16 x 32 IG Vinyl- Install- Mid June 2011. 3ft Shallow 8ft Deep/ Totally Hayward 1HP pump/ 250 pound Sand/ AquaPro800 Heat pump/ Blue Hampton Liner/ 2 Intellibrite LED Lights/ Polaris 360/ 4 Deckjet II's/ 3ft concrete Apron/ 800 sq ft Paver Patio

3. Back To Top    #3

What is a GLI liner and how can I find your build page?
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

4. Back To Top    #4

My build page is - 16-x-32-inground-vinyl-dig-pics-new-liner-dropped-t31990.html

And if you google GLI liners, you will find quite a few dealers who work with their products.
    Purposed new pool at home being built- 20x40 vinyl pool, 20ft vinyl covered steps, Automatic cover, 6 ft sheer decent, 4 lighted deck jets, lime stone coping, easy touch, heat pump, SPA- 8x8 fiberglass shell, limestone steps surrounding
    previous home- 16 x 32 IG Vinyl- Install- Mid June 2011. 3ft Shallow 8ft Deep/ Totally Hayward 1HP pump/ 250 pound Sand/ AquaPro800 Heat pump/ Blue Hampton Liner/ 2 Intellibrite LED Lights/ Polaris 360/ 4 Deckjet II's/ 3ft concrete Apron/ 800 sq ft Paver Patio