Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem adjusting PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Problem adjusting PH

I tried adjusting PH 3-4 times this season, but it climbs back to 7.8 in a couple of days.

My TF kit from last year shows TA at 100. Leslies Taylor 70, 80, 90 (depending on the store). I found a Leslies employee I like and watched her do it twice - both times I counted 7 drops myself.

I keep my TF kit covered in the box it came in (plastic + cartoon). Kit was in the garage over the winter, where the temperature was above freezing, may have dropped to 32 once or twice but I doubt it. (I monitor temp in the garage - have water pipes there)

Could my kit go bad or is leslies Taylor over concentrated?
    Can "Ph Down" ("pool time" product from home depot) have an expiration date? I used it all already, and just now added some "Ph Down" ("aqua chem" product from target). Both products were purchased last year

I use liquid chlorine, my other parameters are within range and I have not done any work with the pool surface (concrete).

please advise.

P.S. (919) 528-1104 - TFTestKits.com contact number is occasionally out of service. I tried calling 4 times, 3 times I got an "out of service" message
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Problem adjusting PH

I would try to keep adjusting it down and see if it settles finally. Can't tell you if I'd agree w/your kit or Leslies... How many times did you do the test yourself?

If you have any active aeration... a waterfall, swg, or splashing in the pool it can cause your ph to rise regularly.

Have you had a lot of rain? That can aerate and add/change the chemical balance a bit if you've had enough.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Suziqzer
    I would try to keep adjusting it down and see if it settles finally. Can't tell you if I'd agree w/your kit or Leslies... How many times did you do the test yourself?
    3-4 times. Every single time I get 10 drops
    If you have any active aeration... a waterfall, swg, or splashing in the pool it can cause your ph to rise regularly.
    Don't have that
    Have you had a lot of rain? That can aerate and add/change the chemical balance a bit if you've had enough.
    We did have a few rains this season, but I thought rain brings Ph down, not up.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I've had rain swing my pH both ways. It baffled me too!

You know you can use muriatic acid to lower pH, right? You don't have to buy from the pool store.

If you continue to have wildly swinging pH, you might be a candidate for adding borates.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    I've had rain swing my pH both ways. It baffled me too!

You know you can use muriatic acid to lower pH, right? You don't have to buy from the pool store.
    I don't know the difference between muriatic acid and "Ph down" products, but I got my aqua chem "Ph down" from target when they had it on clearance, $2 for 5LB, which I figured is pretty cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    If you continue to have wildly swinging pH, you might be a candidate for adding borates.
    I'll have to read up on this - know nothing about it. But first I want to make sure my TA is within range. I was able to get a hold of an answering service for tfkits and now waiting for a call back. If my TA is indeed out of range, I guess I'd need to adjust it first before I try anything else.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Duraleigh and his wife own TFtestkits.net. He also happens to own TFP, so if there is an issue with the phone, you can certainly PM him. Dave is a great guy with an excellent customer service record.

If you PH is rising rapidly and the pool has a saltwater generator or source of aeration, such as a spill over spa or waterfall, you may consider lowering TA to 60. Borates at 50ppm also slows the rate of PH rise, so you'll still need to add acid just less frequently.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

You are correct by the way, make sure your TA is correct before adding borates. It's far more difficult to adjust once borates are in.

For what it's worth, I don't consider your TA range of 70-100 to be bad.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

FWIW, my pH test from the TF-100 and a slightly older Taylor kit I had before I bought the TF-100 both show pH a little higher than the pool store's tests. The stores are usually 10-20 lower. This can be a problem for me with my constantly rising pH and rising CH. The difference between 110 and 90 TA significantly changes the CSI.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I think I may have figured it out. It seems like liquid chlorine has a Ph at 13. If so, how do I calculate how much Ph I'm adding with 1 gallon of chlorine?
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

If so, how do I calculate how much Ph I'm adding with 1 gallon of chlorine?
    You aren't adding any. LQ is virtually net PH neutral and will have little if any affect on your pH.

Please PM me and let me know when you tried to call. We had a 1-2 hour power outage a few days ago and our wireless phones weren't available to us during that period. That's the only time I can think of.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

can eyeball direction cause PH climb then? they were pointing up slightly but there was no bubbling
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Lots of things can cause the PH to rise. With TA at 100, rain will tend to raise the PH, people swimming, plaster applied in the last year, a bunch of things.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School