Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Still messing with this pump....

1. Back To Top    #1

Still messing with this pump....

Ok I'm having a helluva time getting my pump to prime. It used to be occasional but now it's every morning. I have to pull the lid of, fill the pot with water and repeat - sometimes many times before it will prime. In the pic below, the faucet right above the fault definitely has a leak. I gotta figure out how to get the faucet loose and replace the part. I've never even used that faucet so I don't think it's necessary. My question - is there anything else on the cheap I should tackle while I got this taken apart?

Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Still messing with this pump....

The pump losing prime usually means an air leak on the suction side of the pluming. However, if it only loses prime while it is off, that could be caused by a leak on the pressure side of the plumbing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Do you know how to get that faucet off? Can I seal that seem where the faucet fits into the "T"?
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control

4. Back To Top    #4

It should unscrew, although they may well have used locking thread sealer, in which case it won't unscrew at all easily. If it does unscrew without damage you can get a plug with the same kind of threading. If it doesn't unscrew, or there is damage, you will need to replace that section of pipe.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I decided just to cut it off before the T and install it all new. It was VERY easy to do. I'm not intimidated by electrical stuff but plumbing makes me nervous due to my lack of experience. I let it sit for a couple of hours and turned the pump on and it primed immediately. <crossing fingers!> Thanks for the tips
    Brian